The Cash Blog’s Red Light Challenge | Bullseye Glass Co. | Bullseye Glass Co

The Cash Blog’s Red Light Challenge

This is it with the silly games. I promise. But I can’t resist just one last round. It’s bound to stump even Sarah and Jenn.

For the final (until I change my mind) $25 Resource Center Gift Card, give us the answer to this two-part question:

1. Which artist – who is not typically associated with glass – designed this prototype panel that was fabricated with Bullseye glass here in Portland, Oregon.

2. Name the location for which it was designed.

Again, Bullseye gallery artists, Bullseye employees, their families and anyone involved in the making of the panel are not eligible to enter.

PS. Take heart: your chances of winning are pretty good today. I happen to know that Sarah’s in class. As for Jenn?….well, Achtung!

P.S. If it’s any help, the panel measures 34 x 41.5 inches.

16 Responses to The Cash Blog’s Red Light Challenge

1. I thought it was it the guys who did the laminating workshop before BECon 2007? I’ve seen the piece somewhere in Portland (reminded me of my leaf bowls and panels), ooh can’t remember! Is it a bicycle hire or eco-something building?
    But that can’t be the right answer because they are connected with glass.
    I also think I’ve been talking complete rubbish! Sorry!

2. Juno Lachman and Rich Lamonthe. I know it’s not the right answer, but I just wanted to list their names and credit them with doing a great workshop!

Aw, Jackie, don’t stop. I like it when you talk rubbish. ;-)

4. Thanks for being sweet about my ramblings!

5. Susan says:

Well, I don’t know, and I work at Bullseye. Way to stump us, Lani! But I will throw out a possible name, could it be David McKee, creator of Elmer the Patchwork Elephant? :)

OK, Susan’s not cheating by entering (as a BE person, she’s not eligible).

But I thought her behind-the-scenes answer was so funny that I said “Post it!”.

The artist is definitely an elephant, but not in Elmer’s art field.

7. Jerry Jensen says:

I think this was a panel made for a church in Germany where other panels had failed. The artist was a painter or designer that retrofited a new design to this older church. This was shown at the 2007 BECON, Big Ideas: Kiln Glass in Archetecture. I cannot find any more details in my notes from then. But I will keep trying.

8. Going out on a limb, but it looks like Gerhard Richter for Cologne Cathedral.

Good limb to go out on, Paul!
    YOU ARE RIGHT!
    Next question: do you think he’s been knocked off by Elmer the Elephant?

10. What keeps both Richter’s panel and maybe Elmer from appearing mundane is the inclusion of black and white (or near black and white) squares.

11. Jerry Jensen says:

That is a result that I didn’t put together. Yesterday I was reading an article in Artforum by Graham Bader, “Tabula Rasa” about four books about Gerhard Richter and didn’t put the artists name with the work. Memories of the 2007 conference fade and I think there was an article in New Glass about glass in cathederals but I couldn’t put it together. Lani, did your choice of subject relate to the article in Artforum?

12. jenn houser says:

Sorry I missed all the fun. Way to go, Paul!

Paul, great observation, not that I wouldn’t have expected as much from someone who lives and breathes color charts! (I love your latest project)

Jerry, no I haven’t had a chance to read the latest ArtForum. But I will now. thanks!

14. KLAUS MOJE says:

THERE IS A WONDERFUL DVD ON THE MARKET THAT IS EXPLAINING THE THINKING PROCESS
    OF THE FINAL WINDOWS.

I KNOW THAT THIS IS COMING IN LATE, BUT FOR THOSE WHO ARE WORKING ON ARCHITECTURAL PROJECTS – THIS IS A MUST.

15. I love that Bullseye test piece for Gerhard Richter, and found information on the cathedral windows on Gerhard Richter’s website. I would like to see the DVD Klaus mentions, but haven’t found it. Any more information?

Nancy,

The DVD is “Das Koelner Domfenster” by Corinna Belz. German w/ English subtitles. I’ve found it on Amazon Germany and Amazon Canada:

Although it’s currently out of stock in Canada.

Doesn’t seem to be available through Amazon US.

If you find it anywhere in the US, I’d love to know where. I’ll probably pick it up when next in the UK.

Good luck!