Here’s the scoop on making a sweet little light box, great for frit & powder work. We put this version to the test in a few recent workshops with Miriam Di Fiore and it passed with flying colors.
- TROFAST box & lid in white, Ikea
- Under Cabinet Linkable LED Light Bars, (12″, 3 pack), LED Concepts brand, Amazon
- Hot glue
- Something to cut a notch in the Ikea box
A note about lights: We looked for lights that were cool, bright, white (as opposed to warm white) and had a switch or control in the cord as it’s nice to be able to turn it on and off without having to move your work. Being able to disconnect the cord at the box also works nicely. Of course, there are other options. These worked well for us.
- Link up the LED light bars and hot glue them to the inside of the TROFAST lid. In this light box, the lid becomes the base and the container section is used as the top. It disperses and filters the light and provides a flat surface to work on.
- Make a notch in the side of the box to fit the cord, which allows the lid to fit well once it’s assembled. You have options in how you choose to do this. We drilled a hole with a 5/8″ drill bit to for the cord, then cut the rest out with a utility knife. Be careful!
- If that little dot in the center of the work space is distracting, it can be smoothed out in a few seconds with the heat of a lighter.
We’ve created a few different versions over the years and this is the simplest to date. Expect to spend around $30.