bullseyeglass.com • View topic - adding to a flamework murrini in the kiln

adding to a flamework murrini in the kiln

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

adding to a flamework murrini in the kiln

Postby Jayshuster503 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:17 pm

I made a murrini in the torch using bullseye rod 0024-tomato red opal, 0321-pumpkin orange opal, and ???-deep cobalt, it is about 200mm long,33 mm wide, and 33mm high. As it was placed in the kiln it broke into 9 pieces, the largest is about 76mm long 33mmx33mm. I have puzzled the pieces together with minimal gaps. My plan is to add a 200mm, 36mm wide, 3mm tall strips of 0024-tomato red opal on each of the 4 sides, damn (using thinfire paper since it is all I have) and bring to a full fuse. The murrini is not perfectly straight so I plan to fill any gaps with fine frit made from broken rod ends. Can you help me with an appropriate schedule to slowly BRING IT UP to full fuse and hopefully minimize any bubbles in the process? Once it is up to temp I assume I can use the thick slabs information sheet for annealing and cooling schedule.

I fuse in a abused (purchased used) very small (14'?)Jen ken kiln with ceiling elements and a thin shelf raised 1/2 in off the floor.

My original plan was to build a wider pattern bar using the murrini as the center but after the breaking I want to save what I have before attempting to add more elements.

Thanks so much for any advice you can provide,
Jay Shuster
Jayshuster503

Re: adding to a flamework murrini in the kiln

Postby gg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 am

Hi Jay,
If I understand correctly, you want to Full fuse the design piece by damming the broken murine with glass strips and frit to create something uniform.
It seems a full fuse schedule should work for this, as I see the total height of the piece being around 4mm or so... Another idea would be to lay this on a thin piece of clear, to avoid any shrinkage and get more mass to this small design piece.
Here is a firing schedule that is a good starting point and should yield good results:

Full Fuse Firing:
SEGMENT RATE (DPH)* TEMPERATURE HOLD
1 350°F (222°C) 1225°F (663°C) 30:00
2 600°F (333°C) 1480°F (810°C) :10
3 AFAP 900°F (482°C) 1:00
4 100°F (56°C) 700°F (371°C) :00
5 AFAP** 70°F (21°C) :00

You will have to slow down the initial step when incorporating this design into another piece.
I hope this help,
GS
gg

Return to Technique