bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Help with fusing schedule

Help with fusing schedule

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Help with fusing schedule

Postby wendyboulter » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:00 am

I am a relatively new glass fuser and have had some initial success with full and tack fusing.

I have fully fused a 2 x 3mm layer piece with various patterns successfully and have cut it up into strips to use in making a 50mm by 300mm sun catcher. I want to tack fuse the 6mm already fused strips to tekta 3mm clear glass and in the gaps in between the 6mm already fused strips put 2x3mm strips of plain colour as yet unfused. Overall I want the piece to be tacked fused.

I am seeking advice about a tack fusing schedule that will take into account that some of the glass is already fused at 6mm and some not and is overall 3 layers thick,

Any advice?
wendyboulter

Re: Help with fusing schedule

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Yes--I think you could consult our chart on Annealing Thick Slabs. If I understand your description correctly, you are tackfiring a piece with variable thicknesses between 9 and 12 mm thick. Is that right? If so, you would choose the annealing cycle for a 24 mm thick piece (or 2.4 cm).

Heating the glass would also be more conservative.

If you would like to propose a schedule, we would be happy to provide feedback. It would help to have a diagram or photos of the piece you are preparing to fire.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby wendyboulter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:01 am

Hi - thanks for the reply. Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply but I have been away - Well here goes. Its more like 3 layers thick with two of the layers already fused. I think I might use the following tack fusing schedule - What do you think? My kiln I work in centigrade.

Ramp - Temp - Hold

60 - 450 - 15mins
250 - 593 - 0 mins
60 - 677 - 30 mins

Full - 738 - 5 mins
Full 516 - 60 mins

30 - 421 - 0 mins
60 - 300 - 0 mins

Then allow to cool naturally - kiln off.
wendyboulter

Postby wendyboulter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:02 am

ps - the pieces are 300 by 50
wendyboulter

Postby Ted » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:25 am

Hello,

Your schedule will probably work, but it includes some unnecessary steps. This is what I would do given the same 3-layer thick piece that includes some 6mm components. I would be firing in a kiln with top and side elements such as a Paragon GL24 (all temps and rates in C°):

50 677 :30
330 738* :10
9999 482 3:00
25 427 :00
45 371 :00
150 21 :00

*Process temperature and hold time will vary depending on equipment and intended effect. This is a guess based on the information that you provided. You may begin to take quick peeks into the kiln shortly process temperature to monitory progress confirm that you have achieved the desired effect, either adding time or skipping to the next segment once you're satisfied. If you'd prefer not do that, I would recommend simply firing to the schedule provided and then taking good notes that will direct your future firings, whether that means that you would increase or decrease the process temperature or keep it the same.

As Mary Kay suggested, I have used an annealing cycle that is for a piece that is twice as thick as the actual piece is in the thickest area because the piece is tack fused. This comes directly from our Annealing Thick Slabs chart: http://www.bullseyeglass.com/images/sto ... _slabs.pdf

I hope that this is helpful.

Thank you,

Ted
Ted

Postby wendyboulter » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:28 am

Oh thanks - I really appreciate this and I will try it and see. :))
wendyboulter

Postby marykaynitchie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Thanks, Ted!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique