bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Digital decals and visible backing material after firing

Digital decals and visible backing material after firing

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Digital decals and visible backing material after firing

Postby jlmullen » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi— I just fired three stacked sets of two 9” disks (using 3mm BE glass for each layer). Two sets of disks were Tekta on the bottom layer capped with 001116-0030 and 002047-0030 (respectively). One was 000013-0030 capped with transparent turquoise 001116-0030. I applied the digi butterfly decals to all of the now-fused disks, as directed, and all three were fired together on one shelf, in one kiln, at BE’s recommended firing schedule for digital decals. Two of the three plates with decals show no signs of any backing material around the butterflies, but the one plate with the 000013-0030 white base has visible lines—just like I’d glued decals onto the plates. I’ve used the other decals (gold and black) and seen no evidence of the clear decal material; the decal looks deep in the glass, not on the surface. I’m wondering if the white glass didn’t heat adequately to cause the clear decal material to disappear? Would I have to fire hotter or longer when I use that white, or maybe with other colors that don’t melt as easily? (The butterfly decals themselves fired perfectly, by the way.)
Thanks for your thoughts on this—
L.
jlmullen

Re: Digital decals and visible backing material after firing

Postby edwardcantarella » Sun May 13, 2018 12:07 pm

If you mean water-slide decals, the "slide"(backing) is usually an organic substance, potato starch being common. It reacts with some glasses. You can polish around it with cerium oxide (or 1 micron diamond lapping film,ebay :) ) and remove the haze - generally the decal is safe because it is several times thicker than what you are trying to remove.
edwardcantarella

Re: Digital decals and visible backing material after firing

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon May 14, 2018 8:20 am

Bonnie's advice:

If I'm following this, it sounds like the cornstarch decal edges are not apparent on 1116 w/ a Tekta base & are visible on 1116 w/ a white base. It also sounds like the decals came from the same sheet, or are at least the same style (digital butterflies). We haven't tested them in this exact way that I know of, but we do know that the cornstarch layer is often visible, more so when fired in contact with opalescent styles. In the free video & recently updated document about using Milestone decals, we mention firing a layer of clear powder over the top of the fired decal as a way to gloss & hide the edge.
I hope this helps!

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-id ... ecals.html

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique