bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Shelf kiln wash

Shelf kiln wash

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Shelf kiln wash

Postby tommckay » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:37 pm

I think it might be time to revise the instructions for applying kiln wash to shelves. It's good but brushing to the edge, edges have to be cleaned every time or you get old wash in the kiln.
I have never applied the wash right to edge. I leave it 1/2" short. Its just as easy to apply but a whole lot less trouble to remove because there are no drips on the edges.

I'm not the only one who does this I bet so it might be worth suggestion in the Education section?
tommckay

Re: Shelf kiln wash

Postby gg » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:22 pm

Hello Tom,
Thanks for your feedback. You're correct that it's not an obligation to cover the entire shelf (depending on the size of the project). We hope people can decide what is best for their particular situation, but the idea behind going over the edge is to be sure that you don't let that excess primer accumulate in some areas of the shelf and create an uneven surface. Brushing the primer over the edge is a foolproof easy way to achieve this. We do not recommend priming or scraping the shelf in the kiln. Thanks! G
gg

Re: Shelf kiln wash

Postby tommckay » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:09 pm

The wash going over the edge needs scraped off when you scrape the shelf just as important to remove it because it does flake off into the kiln. I was not implying you scrape a shelf in the kiln!!
tommckay

Return to Technique