bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Making frit balls out of translucent & dichroic glass

Making frit balls out of translucent & dichroic glass

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Re: Making frit balls out of translucent & dichroic glass

Postby marykaynitchie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:38 am

I don't have any ideas why the 001122 and 001125 didn't ball up. I will ask around here!

I do know that it's best not to use any more heatwork on those two styles than necessary--if overfired, they can turn opaque.

I think your kiln is running cool if it takes 20 minutes for the other styles to ball up. Perhaps 1575°F for 10 minutes is your magic number. (By running cool, I mean that the thermocouple/controller rig is reading hotter than the actual temperature inside the kiln, so you may need to adjust all your schedules to accommodate that, adding 50-75 degrees at all holding temperatures.)

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby amycsalo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Thank you so much for checking! It might ball up in 10 minutes on the other colors, I just know it wouldn't on those. Since I had it set for 20 I just left the schedule for a 20 minute hold. I am going to try to put some of the other colors in with the opal ones next time I fire it and see what they do. I am hoping to be able to lower the temp and the hold and still get some nice ones on the other colors. I just started with the red and orange and assumed that it was an issue with all the translucent colors. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!!

Amy
amycsalo

Postby marykaynitchie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi Amy,

We don't know why only certain colors of frit are not balling up for you. I reached out to an artist who works with frit balls of a wide range of colors, and she has not experienced what you experienced. I am not sure what else to tell you except to try a slightly higher temperature.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby amycsalo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:23 pm

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! So I am not sure of the "why" behind it but it had nothing to do with the glass itself. I kept using the same "failed" red and orange frit ball glass with each new attempt. When I finally got frustrated and threw that glass in the "to be melted later" pile and started over with fresh frit, it worked perfectly. The root problem was using the thinfire paper instead of just putting it on the primed kiln shelf. I have now successfully made tons of red and orange, and every other color, dots. Thank you so much for all of your help and have a great day!!

Amy
amycsalo

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Wow! Who knew that the ThinFire would make it impossible for the frit to ball up! Super helpful for you to check back in with us on your successful solution!

Thanks!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby janforbes6969 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:25 pm

I am the frit ball queen! I haven't tried making many with opalescent frit, but I am quite successful with transparent. I use coarse 90 coe BE frit . Put BE thin fire paper down on kiln shelf. Space your coarse frit about a half inch part. Fire AFAP (Full) all the way to 1480. No hold. Turn off and let cool. However if you are using any of the pinkish or reddish BE tints, please refer to BE's recommended schedule:
Rate Temp Hold
* 1225 2:00
600 1490 :10
9999 900 **

If you don't put the hold on the pinkish tints, they'll turn out brown or very light blue. You can find the firing info at BE's website's online store under About our glass.

Good luck. Beware though. Making them is addictive.
janforbes6969

Previous

Return to Technique