bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Stainless steel mold questions

Stainless steel mold questions

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Re: Stainless steel mold questions

Postby lisac » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:26 am

Hi all -

I have a stainless steel slump mold that I made. It is flat, round piece of 14 gauge stainless steel with my shape cut out - I use stands under it to allow the glass to drape through it.

The first time I used it (sprayed it with BN) in my smaller bonnie glow kiln it worked perfectly - I had fused a color and a clear piece to make a 6mm thick flat piece to drape. Then slumped that into the stainless steel drape mold.

Since I made the first one - I have acquired another kiln - its a 220v 24" round kiln - I have tried the same mold using the same parameters and the glass cracks each time (I've tried this twice) The glass cracks right at the edge where it is draping down.

SO -- any wisdom on how to adjust this? Is this cracking on the cooling (my assumption) since both times the slumping is working quite well - it is just ending up cracking. The bonnie glow kiln is fiber and heats and cools faster (I believe) The reason I was trying the bigger kiln is that I would like to make some bigger pieces and was trying to master this process!

Both kilns are equipped with TAP controllers - and the draping programs are the same.

Hopefully one of you has conquered this!

Thanks in advance
lisac

Re: Stainless steel mold questions

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Hi Lisa,

Our Forum website has become older and crankier, and now does not support new member registrations. We hope to get it repaired and updated but meanwhile, we encourage all members to join the Bullseye Glass Group on Facebook, to post any technical questions or share your recent work. The platform there is searchable, and we have a number of Bullseye staffers moderating, so you should be able to get faster responses.

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BullseyeGlassCommunity

We hope to see you there soon!

Oh, and here is a description of the group:

Let’s learn from one another! We welcome makers of all skill levels to join us in discussing topics related to using Bullseye glass: kilnforming, stained glass, mosaic, torchwork—you name it. Share questions, inspirations, and any information that could help others improve their glass techniques.

We invite members to post about techniques, projects, experiments, workshops, classes, and public exhibitions. This is not a group for promoting glass supply events, but it’s fine to help members find sources for specific Bullseye products under discussion.

We’re excited to hear what you’re doing and exploring with Bullseye––a glass for all reasons!
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Previous

Return to Technique