bullseyeglass.com • View topic - PRINTING PATTERNS ON THIN FIRE SHELF PAPER

PRINTING PATTERNS ON THIN FIRE SHELF PAPER

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

PRINTING PATTERNS ON THIN FIRE SHELF PAPER

Postby Vicki Floyd Willhite » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:32 am

I wanted to share this technique for assembling fused glass projects after discovering and testing it in my studio. This may be something others are already doing as well but it was new for me.

I have found that patterns can be safely printed on the thin fire shelf paper when you need to have a pattern guide under your glass for assembling a fusing project. The paper accepts the ink clearly and without smearing or bleeding and the ink burns out cleanly during firing. I use an Epson inkjet printer and create many of my designs and patterns on my computer so it is easy to print them out. Once the thin fire paper is cut down to the standard 8.5 x 11 business size it goes right in the paper tray on my printer and I haven't had any printer equipment problems with it at all.

I often do fused projects that I want to fire on shelf paper but also want to assemble precisely to a pattern. Using the printed shelf paper I can lay my pattern directly on the kiln shelf and put it together using the pattern as my guide. This way I can avoid marking the glass itself. I have also been able to use patterns printed on the shelf paper to trace designs on transparent glass with liquid stringer. This has worked especially well because I can place the pattern on the kiln shelf on my drawing table, place the glass on top of the pattern, trace the pattern and then just put it all in the kiln at once. Less handling always means less crazing for me.

Thank you Bullseye for giving us a place to share our experiences and ideas! :D posting.php?mode=post&f=14#
Vicki Floyd Willhite

Re: PRINTING PATTERNS ON THIN FIRE SHELF PAPER

Postby Lani McGregor » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:06 pm

Vicki,
Really useful method - thanks for sharing!
-Lani
Lani McGregor

Postby Susan Duval » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:14 pm

Thanks for sharing.....this tip is going to be useful for a number of folks! Great :idea:
Susan Duval

Postby gclarkso » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:04 am

I wonder what would happen if you ran the paper through a HP laser that uses toner with a high iron content. I've used transfer paper-decals I've gotten at Cline Glass to create an image on glass.
gclarkso

Postby CLARICE » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:04 pm

I HAVE USED PENCIL DRAWINGS WITH NO PROBLEM....HAS ANYONE TRIED SHARPIE MARKERS?
CLARICE

Postby CalyxAnn » Mon May 31, 2010 7:35 pm

I've used pencils to outline the shape of the piece that I'm creating quite often. It really helps quite a bit!
I have also begun playing more with "fusible paper," by drawing on the ThinFire with Glassline paints and firing them between two sheets of glass.
I saw in the Slumpy's contest they held recently where one of the winners printed on the paper with a laser printer and fired the image between glass as well. I think it's an interesting technique that I'll be incorporating into future projects.
CalyxAnn

Postby tommckay » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:34 pm

Tried firing Thinfire after printing with inkjet (Canon original inks) & Xerox color laser. Inkjet left not a trace! but the laser print between sheets worked. Would like to try the printed 'picture' between 2 sheets of thin Tekta at full fuse then add 3mm top sheet & full fuse again. Anyone tried it?
Tom
tommckay

Postby charlie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:08 am

tommckay wrote:Tried firing Thinfire after printing with inkjet (Canon original inks) & Xerox color laser. Inkjet left not a trace! but the laser print between sheets worked. Would like to try the printed 'picture' between 2 sheets of thin Tekta at full fuse then add 3mm top sheet & full fuse again. Anyone tried it?
Tom

colored ink from inkjets are organic based for the most part, so would go away when heated. toner from lasers contain iron, which won't go away.
charlie

Postby grace » Sun May 12, 2019 10:26 pm

I am curious about getting the image, which has been printed onto thinfire, onto glass. Some have made a comment about putting the thinfire between sheets? What happens to the image and the thinfire paper sandwiched between the glass? Can I put one sheet of glass over the image, and have it transfer onto the glass clearly?
grace

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon May 13, 2019 11:15 am

My guess (and it is merely a guess) is that if you put ThinFire in between sheets of glass, that the organics would burn out of it, and it would off-gas some carbon and trap dirty looking bubbles. But feel free to run a test and let us know what happens!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Next

Return to Technique