bullseyeglass.com • View topic - another one bites the dust

another one bites the dust

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

another one bites the dust

Postby melaniedrown » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:48 pm

Hello, I am hoping for some divine wisdom with a failed piece. First Attempt: using 2 10" rounds of 1/8" BE white and topped with a variety of strips (again BE 1/8") including mint green, red, amber/white streakie for a total thickness of 3 layers. Full fused perfectly (or so it appeared) on a very slow firing; piece was then draped over a stainless floral slumper and slumped (again, slow ramp up, top temp 1220 w/ long hold); piece fractured in half somewhere in the beginning stages of slumping. Tossed it and started over, same glass as in first attempt. This time, after full fusing, I noticed that one of the pieces (the amber streakie) was very wrinkled in appearance & had a very matte finish as compared to the rest of the piece. There was also a hairline fracture surrounding this little rebel. Fracture was in surface only (not traveling through the white layers underneath), so, feeling a bit daring, I tried to slump the piece, again using the stainless slumper. Results: the piece fractured into 3 pieces on the ramp up. Culprit: the amber glass...the mystery: the amber glass was used throughout the piece with no other ill effect!! WHAT could this BE?? Skutt glass kiln, no burnt out elements, no part close to the sides of the kiln... I will attach some pictures that I HOPE will provide better description. I am stumped. Thanks to anyone with some thoughts!!
Melanie
melaniedrown

Re: another one bites the dust

Postby Lani McGregor » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Hi Melanie,

Sorry to hear of your problem. Am interested to learn more. But I'm not seeing the pictures. Were you not able to post them?

Can you tell me what the style code was of the amber/white streaky?

- Lani
Lani McGregor

Postby melaniedrown » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Hi Lani -- sorry, the photo was larger than the alloted kb; i've shrunk it down & will attempt to send it again. Style of glass was 2137-0030. Thanks for your reply!!
Melanie
break.jpg
break.jpg (50.78 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
melaniedrown

Postby mnglass » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:19 pm

How close is the glass to the top element during the drape? What is your fusing schedule?
A. W.
Rochester, MN
mnglass

Postby Lani McGregor » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi Melanie,
Sorry, I can't tell anything from the small detail showing in the picture. Can you try to post a picture that shows more of the full lay-up? Thanks! Lani
Lani McGregor

Return to Technique