bullseyeglass.com • View topic - fusing copper between glass

fusing copper between glass

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

fusing copper between glass

Postby williamss » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi,
Is there anyway to keep copper from changing color during the fusing process? When I use copper it always turns a deep, dirty red. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Sophie
williamss

Re: fusing copper between glass

Postby ilmcreations » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:36 pm

I also was researching that not long ago. I have not tried yet, but apparently the tarnishing to purplish is because of oxydation to a0ambient air and b) our finger oils. Oils are the most commom causes. So there are a few ways to prevent it (again I haven't tried but if you do, please post results). You can soak your inclusions in a light acid like vinegar and then dry it wearing gloves before including. You can also use a metal brush to "revive" the metal; it would manually remove the oils and oxydation. Some say they do both and get good results. Lastly, and what I will deo, is to take new untouched copper and cover it with a light coat of transparent enamel like unique glass and then dry and fuse. Please let us know if it works. I have googled and researched for so long, and have yet to try any of the tricks. Good luck.
ilmcreations

Postby johnreeves » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:09 am

Hmmm ;) - I suspect that you may have to reframe "dirty red" as "cool color shift" -- I have found that the copper will always react with the glass when hot, no matter how sparkling it goes into the kiln. Think of it as "nifty copper red!"

John
johnreeves

Postby Betty W » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:53 pm

I sometimes paint the copper different colors, blue or green, so the clear enamel might work fine, when painted colors, the colors stay true. But mostly I leave it the dark red color.
Betty W

Postby seldominnBarb » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:05 pm

Another consideration when fusing copper between glass - hammering the copper as flat as possible. The copper and glass heat at different rates and may cause cracking.
seldominnBarb

Postby williamss » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:41 am

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to try this weekend and see if I get any different results that the nifty copper red. I don't mind the color shift but would like some variety. I read somewhere that different "types" of copper can fire differently but I've never found a different kind that what I have:-) I love doing inclusions.
I've heard of painting with the clear enamel but I don't have any. I tried clear frit but it didn't make any difference. Again thanks.

Sophie
williamss

Return to Technique