bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Fusing Glass Powder and Frit to Sterling Blanks

Fusing Glass Powder and Frit to Sterling Blanks

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Fusing Glass Powder and Frit to Sterling Blanks

Postby hurthawk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:58 pm

I often wondered if you can fuse glass powder and frit to the Sterling blanks? If this can be done could someone tell me how it is done. Thanks. Cinthy
hurthawk

Re: Fusing Glass Powder and Frit to Sterling Blanks

Postby Deb Conrad » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 pm

That's an interesting question. I have tried using Bullseye frit on copper with little success unless I do a layer of Thompson enamel first. And, in order to enamel on sterling, you'd need to depletion gild it first to bring a layer of fine silver to the surface (so I skip this step by working only with fine silver).

Now, I'm wondering if Bullseye might react differently to silver than copper? I'll dig out some scraps and play with it. I love the Bullseye color palate and it would be a great way to use scraps from larger fusing projects.

Deb
Deb Conrad

Re: Fusing Glass Powder and Frit to Sterling Blanks

Postby Lynn g » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:35 pm

Deb, it would be interesting to try with some of the reactive colors. I'm thinking of some beads I've seen done with FS wire would over French Vanilla (although this is silver OVER glass, rather than under, so it' slightly off-topic from the question.)
Lynn g
Central Calif.
Lynn g

Return to Technique