bullseyeglass.com • View topic - pot melt on fiber paper

pot melt on fiber paper

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

pot melt on fiber paper

Postby melaniedrown » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:33 am

Hi there! Does anyone know if a pot melt can be done over an 1/8" thick piece of fiber paper rather than directly on a kiln washed shelf? Thanks!
Melanie
melaniedrown

Re: pot melt on fiber paper

Postby charlie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:49 am

it can. it may not flow well over paper though. also because of the high temps, you may get a lot of particles of paper embedded in the bottom surface. at the least it will be very rough on the bottom.

why?
charlie

Postby melaniedrown » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:57 am

i don't kiln wash our shelves, I always line with thin fire or 1/8" paper...I find we get much better results (cleaner release, smoother surfaces) and our shelves stay smooth without nicks... sooo, short of using a washed plate of bisque as a shelf, I was considering the paper. What would be your choice?
melaniedrown

Postby Doug Zawodny » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:07 am

I do all mine on Thinfire with great results.
Doug Zawodny

Postby melaniedrown » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:40 am

Great! So, Doug, you just use one sheet of thin fire on an unwashed shelf? Do you have to sand or grind residue away?
melaniedrown

Postby AmyK » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:55 pm

If you don't mind the investment, melting glass onto a stainless steel plate will give a nice surface on the bottom:
http://www.slumpys.com/SlumpysStore/product_Stainless_Steel_Fusing_Plates_SS-633-636VGH13043VGHVGHVGH4VGH.aspx
Coat with high temperature release, easy from a spray can with no prefiring it. ;)
AmyK

Postby Doug Zawodny » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:15 pm

I put my Thinfire in an 18 in. Terra Cotta Saucer (Italian Made). I kilnwash the saucer occasionally, especially the sides. I had a bad experience with pouring directly on shelves so why take the chance. The saucers are cheap and I've used mine for over a year with lots of use. The residue washes off with a wet rag.
Doug Zawodny

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:19 pm

It is a nice idea as well to put a clear piece of glass down on thin-fire and this helps the glass to flow nicely. If you prefer to use fiber paper;( I usually will use clean shelf primer myself, but that is just me).(I usually will saw the clear off if it is going to ruin my pattern when I re-invest after cutting ) or polish off if the piece is large for the saw, so the glass is nice and new and clean where the join will be if you are going to re-invest and lay those two pieces with the bottom touching each other. You just want to make sure the join is clean. (but then I seem to saw everything!!! :roll:
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Karen Lewit » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:15 pm

I have had great success doing my pot melts directly on fiber paper. Just a extra insurance tho, I also kiln wash my shelf. That way I am assured if there is a mishap with the flow directly onto the fiber paper my kiln shelf will not be damaged.
Karen Lewit

Postby jestersbaubles » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Good to hear people have had success on thinfire. I keep reading that the paper can move and get into the bottom of the piece. I have everything all set up to do my first melt. Well, everything but time!

maybe if I got off the computer... :twisted:

Dana W

www.jestersbaubles.com
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Return to Technique