bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Interesting Colourbar Set-up

Interesting Colourbar Set-up

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Re: Interesting Colourbar Set-up

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:29 am

Oh how exciting. We would love to see pics ! Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:08 am

I think another important thing to consider is the thickness of your Stainless Steel Rods that hold the glass up. :idea: You can play with Flat Stainless Steel bars that will make the folds wider and really cool tooo, (and how far apart will make a big difference or what angle you place them) and if you do not want the stainless steel mandrels to bend (I keep it at a lower temp for the glass and the metal) and fall into your piece, use 1/4 inch stainless steel rods. Experiment and have fun. :)
Also keep in mind your finished design. Do you want it thick enough to saw top to bottom . How do you want the colours to blend so that when you saw through them you get a nice transition. Plan it out before you begin and think of it 3-D in your mind and how it will flow , and this will help you to set it up.
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:22 am

Perhaps another way to get movement in your glass colourbars is to create a space where air will cause a bubble; and then fire the bar long enough that the bubble rises and brings the glass up with it until it pops! . When you slice the bar sideways through the layers , you will get some nice movement as well.
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:23 am

Here it is placed into a panel.
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:31 am

Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:14 am

Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby mnglass » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Do you have a suplier for the zircar dams?
A. W.
Rochester, MN
mnglass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:11 pm

http://www.twinvision.fusedglassartists ... molds.html

Hi, Mnglass
When I was teaching , I would order 2 different sizes from Zircar, (we called them Containment molds) (Tom Hamling from Zircar was always an incredilbe person who would come to the class and shared in the experience or would come to Pilchuck for a few days, and we would experiment with his products.) BUT it is not inexpensive. You have to order a complete 18 inch section,(making sure you tell them to polish INSIDE and the BOTTOM) and then they will cut into any size or depth you wish to make up the 18 inchs x what ever size works for you. Then we would sell to the student for a reasonable price. That worked for us. I use mine all the time for years now . I have mentioned to others to get a group together perhaps and each person in that group would get an inch tall one and then a 2 inch high one (or what ever worked for each individual. It works out to aprox. $39.00 each mold. You MUST prime them really well each time and sand VERY gently inside as you do not want any glass sticking for sure. I know they have cut-offs from their factory as well and if anyone is close by the factory, maybe you could make them an offer. :)
I hope this has answered your question. They can come in any size you want. I would LOVE a 22 inch round one that is 1 inch tall myself. Hmmmmm! wish list. :roll:
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:54 pm

MnGlass,
Here are a few different sizes that I have ! You can see how I primed them. It is very important if the bottom and insides are polished and sanded when ordered so that no glass leaks out the bottom . They do not thermal shock or shrink so they slip right off the glass block.
There are definately other excellent ways to set things up as well, but it is fast and clean and if you have alot of bars in a kiln at once , it is a clean set-up and clean up.
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

PreviousNext

Return to Technique