bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Interesting Colourbar Set-up

Interesting Colourbar Set-up

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Re: Interesting Colourbar Set-up

Postby Muzzio » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks a bunch.

I did the math and that comes out to about 160 hours total.. 6 and 2/3 days.. It must be like Christmas every time you get to pull one out and start cutting it to see what's inside.. or Hanukkah if it takes you 8 days to cut it :) ... fun fun.
Muzzio

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Sometimes I think it is good to plan a 2 1/2 inch or just 3 inch bar and then slice into sections that are 4 inchs ,(if you have a saw that can accomodate the thickness) ( so perhaps you can minimize your kiln time ), and then you can really play with painting with glass by then slicing sideways instead of straight through. You just have to plan right from the beginning as to what you are trying to achieve. It is important to visualize how the bar will look and flow before you start the set up ; so this will dictate how you saw, ( cut up -down- sideways and straight on.) I think Pictures tell so much more so I will try to find a few. :?
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:10 pm

Perhaps this picture shows how slicing one colourbar in different ways can achieve many different movement or painterly looks to the glass.
Les
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:47 am

I finally found a picture that shows how thick the bar was (far left 2 1/2 inchs thick) and then I cut sections of 3 1/2 inchs and then sliced sideways instead of straight up and down. This gives a painterly affect through the stringers.
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Brock » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:49 am

So . . . then you're done posting pictures?
Brock

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 pm

Brock wrote:So . . . then you're done posting pictures?

Oh I am sorry if the photos are not helping others. Yes! I could be if others do not feel it helps! :? :oops:
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Monika » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:36 pm

Brock wrote:So . . . then you're done posting pictures?

A picture says more than 1000 words! :mrgreen: !!!!!

Leslie - until the board admin tells you otherwise - keep on posting - It is an amazing learning tool. Thank You. :D
Monika

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks so much Monika,
I feel this board is an excellent destination for many artists from around the world to drop by and learn from professionals , beginners , owners, architects and everyone inbetween.Bullseye Glass has been at the for-front of education through courses , E-Merge, SOFA and a world class Gallery that I love to enjoy on a regular basis. Bullseye has also strived for excellence through their resource center and education center.. I believe this board an extension of that pursuit.
We come here to share. We come to learn new and innovative techniques and ideas from others who are kind enough to share through Visual stimulation and discussion. Sometimes a photo can help an artist who is just learning how glass flows to understand it better . I know personally I find photos a great opening for discussion; and I was not aware that it would be a problem. Sorry if I was wrong. But perhaps it is best to ask why a photo might not be welcome for discussion. This might help me to understand alittle more. I really like to see other artists work , and how they created it. Even though I will always go off in my own direction , it is a great inspiration to view cool ways others work with this incredible medium. I look forward to this open discussion.
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Muzzio » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

I agree with everything you said and I think the photos are a valuable resource available to anyone. I'm not sure if Brock really meant to be negative about your photo posting, but if he did it was a bit odd and maybe rude, especially considering that you yourself started these threads. All forums will have some information that isn't useful to some people, and those people don't need to spend time looking at it, so there should be no reason to single you out if that was his meaning. But the more I think about he might have just been asking a sincere question. It's often hard to judge people's tones in online writing.

In any case, thank you so much for taking the time and effort to provide information and photos to all of us here. I for one will be putting it to use somehow in the future.
Muzzio

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:59 am

Balloons for my twin on her birthday!!!!!!! :lol:
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

PreviousNext

Return to Technique