bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Interesting Colourbar Set-up

Interesting Colourbar Set-up

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Re: Interesting Colourbar Set-up

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:13 am

A close-up of birthday balloons!!!!!!! :D :D Both Melanie and I will create something with these for each other. How fun is that!
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Muzzio » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:27 am

wow... how did you do this one?
Muzzio

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:04 pm

Dear Muzzio,
This is the top of the colour round bar.

I set up a stainless steel grid system that had 1inch holes over one of my Zircar Molds (any circle containment will do , but this one was only 2 inchs tall, not toooo far to drop for the glass ) and then piled the glass upright ontop of that in a controlled manner. I must admit that it was hard to saw up this piece, but I knew I would have the top and bottom and ALL inbetween so off I went to the saw. I was able to saw in 3 and 1/2 inch sections and then saw sideways through it all. Hope this makes sense
and here is the underside. This was set up with a irri bottom on a primed shelf as well, and then I saw off or grind off the irri when I am ready to use in a piece.
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Jane wrote me an email and asked how I saw the colourbars. Well in TRUE CANADIAN fashion and for the olympic spirit, here is my winter colourbar olympics. Brrrrrrr!
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Muzzio » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:44 pm

Heh.. looks fun.

I wish I had that big propane tank at my house... and some of the snow too.
Muzzio

Postby janenoland » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:19 pm

I am definitely interested in the Zircar molds. Contact me at janenoland@comcast.net.
What type of saw and blades do you use???
janenoland

Postby Delberta D » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:19 pm

LOVE the photo's...I love the color bars and plan to try something like that if I can ever get rid of the devitrification problem. The depth in the bars are cool. I also need a saw and lap grinder and ..........the color bar before it is cut is even really cool.
Delberta D

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks sooo much. I have a really interesting panel in the kiln now that is from the colorbar set-up on the first page of this thread and I can only hope it turns out. It looked really interesting hot! (like waves rolling through the piece) inside the kiln so hopefully I have now solved my anneal problems I was having awhile back. I did use my hand held Pyrometer and the GB-1 was the same temp as the reading on the pyrometer sooooooo! that tells me good things. I am liking the new Bullseye firing schedule for thick slabs (anneal at 900 Deg. F.) so I will keep you posted . I tried a large cast panel in my round SKUTT and baffled all the way around the 20 inch kiln shelf and it turned out really lovely at 900 Deg. F. anneal tooo ! so this is a whole new journey for me after many years of casting. Keeps my hair grey , but a young spirit.
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Previous

Return to Technique