bullseyeglass.com • View topic - tack fusing

tack fusing

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

tack fusing

Postby carrie_iverson » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:08 pm

I've recently been experimenting with tack fusing powders at a very low temperature. Typically they are very thinly applied on either a sandblasted or pre-fired surface. The effect I'm interested in achieving is similar to a chalkboard that has just been erased- a filmy very subtle coating of dust...

So my question is: what's the lowest temperature that others have successfully had powders sinter or stick at? Also, did you go straight to process temperature or ... ???

I know my question is a little abstract!

thanks,
carrie
carrie_iverson

Re: tack fusing

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi Carrie,

I find that powder tacks together consistently at 1285 F. There is a bit of fire polish but that ould be removed with selective sandblasting. For softer olours you colud probably go as low as 1250F. Blacks are quite glossy at 1285. I generally hold for about 10 minutes.

I went straight to process temperature.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bob
Bob

Postby Catharine » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:20 am

Hello, Carrie!

Barely tacking powders to sheet is something I regularly do and, in my kilns, I achieve a raw-from-the-jar look at 1264 degs/no hold. My experience is that powders don't adhere at a lower temp than 1264. Of course, subsequent firings soften the application and deepen the color a bit - offering great opportunity for variable results. Perhaps you'd consider 1264 degs with a very short soak?

I regulate the schedule climb to 1100 degs (depending upon wk dims and previous schedules) and then shoot up to 1264.

Good luck!

Catharine
Catharine

Postby carrie_iverson » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:26 am

Thank you both for the feedback!

I am going to try just going to 1250, as I am fusing in a casting kiln and there is a lot of heat retention due to insulation. I will report on the results once the piece is finished!

cheers,
Carrie
Attachments
submergent_sm.jpg
prefiring....
submergent_sm.jpg (138.16 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
carrie_iverson

Return to Technique