bullseyeglass.com • View topic - billets

billets

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

billets

Postby silvialevenson » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:41 am

Hello to everyone

I use a lots of billets in my work, I love them so much for casting. Now I will fill my flowers pots with Burnt Scarlet Striker and it's the first time I fire this colour. Any advice for the firing program? Burnt Scarlet reacts as the rest of the colours? it doesn't become a little opaque? if yes can "I help" with the cycle?

I will arrive to 1600°F and I will hold for 3 hours

thanks!!
s
silvialevenson

Re: billets

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:01 am

I have loved your work for many years now Silvia,
I am now casting at a lower temp. for longer, but that is just my approach. I find that with some of the strikers it seems to keep them true to there colours. Opaline striker likes to be kept abit lower with what I am doing with it anyways. My holes in drip pots are abit bigger . I know Bullseye team will have a perfect answer for you. I look forward to seeing the finished pieces very much.
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby marykaynitchie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:06 am

Hi Silvia,

Regarding the kilncasting process for Burnt Scarlet Striker and other colors, Ted says:

"In general we advocate casting at temperatures lower than 1600° F. In fact, we find that we typically get good results in casting by holding at 1525°F/830°C for the time that is appropriate for the object in question, ranging from less than an hour to over 8 hours. Casting at much higher temperatures makes the glass more likely to react with materials with which it has contact such as the mold, dams, or fiber paper. The results are typically that the surface is more likely to become extremely hazy, pitted, or devitrified (though these problems can arise as a result of other factors in the casting and firing process as well), and can actually even increase the glass’s viscosity, making it less likely to flow.

When working with 001823 (Ruby Pink Striker), 001824 (Ruby Red Striker), and 001831 (Burnt Scarlet Striker), we find that the most critical issues are gradual heating and holding the glass at 1250°F/677°C for 1-2 hours as the glass is being heated. Doing so will make the color develop to its target hue. If the glass is heated too quickly at through this temperature it is much more likely to develop sapphirine qualities of appearing blue/brown in reflection and close-to-target hue in transmission.

The cycle that we’ve suggested in TipSheet 8 is a very good starting point for casting, and the document addresses a number of other critical casting issues as well.

I hope that this is helpful."

Here is the link to TipSheet 8: http://www.bullseyeglass.com/pdf/techno ... eet_08.pdf

Good luck with your work in this color!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby silvialevenson » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:27 am

great!!!
thank you Mary Kay.....thank you Ted! so hepful . My problem in this project is that I am firing some small tea cups and the thicknes is really thin, for this reason I am going to higher temperature with good results until now using 1842 and 1806, but I will try to increase time and not the temperature, maybe to stay one extra hour at 1525 °F

thank you Leslie!
silvialevenson

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:11 pm

You are very welcome. How long are you holding now at 1600 F. and because you are going very thin, it should not hurt to go longer at a low temp. You just need it to travel all the way down. I know you are a totally an amazing caster, but it would be sad not to fill the tea cups. A cup half full is not as tasty. But that said, can you watch the glass at top temp to make sure it has drained. Perhaps this will give you a really good idea . :idea: Les :geek: with googles of course!!! :)
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Return to Technique