bullseyeglass.com • View topic - metal compatibility

metal compatibility

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Re: metal compatibility

Postby bertglass » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:29 pm

Thunderwomanartglass wrote:Bert, I have fused Bullseye glass to textured copper with varying results and I suspect the texture of the copper has as much to do with the result as anything. In one example, the glass and copper were fully fused. In another, I was able to pull the copper away from the glass without breaking. There was fire scale remaining on the glass and I fused it into another piece and received an awesome color change with the copper scale. The combination glass and copper piece that stayed together remains together after several months. These two pieces of copper had two different textures. That is the extent of my experience.
Good luck.
Thunderwomanartglass

One strategy of metal enameling is to put equal coatings of glass on both sides of the metal. This should equalize the pushing and pulling.
Bert Weiss
bertglass

Postby Deb Conrad » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:59 pm

Counter-enameling doesn't make that much of a difference in my experience. I've played with fusing Bullseye frit directly to a copper substrate and haven't had much luck - it takes forever to get it past the sugar stage and it tends to pop off (as Thunderwomanartglass related). However, layering Thompson enamel under the Bullseye makes a difference. I was given a lampworked glass pendant made with Bullseye rods and wanted earrings in the same colors, so I used Thompson for the base coat and Bullseye coarse frit on top. Worked out nicely and I've worn them for months with no problems. I haven't tried it on large pieces though.

I'm intrigued by the mention of incorporating firescale back into a glass project. Didn't notice it on the opaque colors I used but I'll try it with something more transparent - thanks for the tip.

Deb
Deb Conrad

Postby kate » Mon May 02, 2016 7:51 am

I'm fusing Bullseye frit to metals now. Any feedback would be welcome!

Thanks! Kate
kate

Postby Deb Conrad » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:30 am

kate@hungrydogprinting.com wrote:I'm fusing Bullseye frit to metals now. Any feedback would be welcome!

Kate, I was revisiting this old post to see if Lani had ever updated her trials and just saw your reply from 18 months ago. Did you have any luck with this? I have been spectacularly unsuccessful (cracking, popping off) using 90 COE frit, either over bare metal or over Thompson flux. 96 COE works better but I really love the range of Bullseye colors and the reactive possibilities keep me going back to the kiln.
Deb Conrad

Thompson enamels and Bullseye glass

Postby Deb Conrad » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:15 pm

Here I am again almost nine years later, hoping that there is someone else out there interested in Bullseye glass on a Thompson enamel base. As I mentioned back in 2010, I hadn't found an Thompson 1000/2000 enamel base that matched the Bullseye 90 COE frit (cracking, pop offs, etc.) but when I tried System 96, it worked beautifully. But, I really like Bullseye colors, so I kept my frit and recently found a group of like-minded folks who have found that the 7000 and 9000 Thompson line works with Bullseye. So, I have an order in to Thompson and will be trying it out again.
Deb Conrad

Previous

Return to Technique