bullseyeglass.com • View topic - cooling kiln early

cooling kiln early

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

cooling kiln early

Postby dr sawfish » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:53 pm

my studio is about 40 degrees celcius( no air con :cry: ) and i am wondering what would a safe temp be to crack open the kiln an inch to help cool down faster? the kiln is a top loader 60 x 60 x 30cm
dr sawfish

Re: cooling kiln early

Postby charlie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:35 am

dr sawfish wrote:my studio is about 40 degrees celcius( no air con :cry: ) and i am wondering what would a safe temp be to crack open the kiln an inch to help cool down faster? the kiln is a top loader 60 x 60 x 30cm

i routinely fire when the garage that my kiln lives in is over 45c. i may pull a kiln plug when it's at 150c, but i don't open the kiln at all until it is at least 90c, and just for a peek. i don't open it for good until it is at room temperature. on very thick items, i don't open the kiln until it's been at room temperature for at least a full day.
charlie

Postby Stephen Richard » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:27 am

In my view, it depends on what your kiln configuration is, what is in the kiln (thickness/size/importance), and the characteristics of your kiln.

My smaller kiln 500x500mm I control to 100C, while the big one 1000x2030mm I control to 100C, but routinely pull the 3 plugs from it at 200, and crack open at 150C. If I don't do that, it takes more than 24 hours to cool from 250C to 30C. Of course both these kilns are clamshell types - top loaders have different characteristics, especially with the lid open. The position of the glass within the kiln has an effect on what you can do in cooling too.

Keeping the controller on down to relatively low temperatures warns me when I have opened the lid too much. I can hear the relays kick in as the kiln supplies more heat, as the chamber is cooling faster than I programmed, so I lower the lid a bit.

You will learn by cracking when you are cooling too fast. As is said by many "speed kills".

You must be in the southern hemisphere to have 40C at the moment.

Steve
Stephen Richard

Postby dr sawfish » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:49 am

thanks guys specially for the tip on thicker pieces cooling,i love this forum i have so many questions-can an image be pressed into the fibre stuff and use mold hardener to set it then slump glass over it-will this work?
dr sawfish

Postby marykaynitchie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:48 am

The technique you describe sounds similar to the one used in this TipSheet, "Kilncarving":
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/pdf/techno ... eet_01.pdf

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique