bullseyeglass.com • View topic - racking system for tiles

racking system for tiles

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

racking system for tiles

Postby Jerry Jensen » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:58 am

Does anyone have experience with racking up tile stacks with dams that is easy to do for multiple tile batches of the same size?
Jerry Jensen

Re: racking system for tiles

Postby bertglass » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:23 am

Jerry Jensen wrote:Does anyone have experience with racking up tile stacks with dams that is easy to do for multiple tile batches of the same size?

Make large sheets and saw them up. Dams are very fussy. 110J board lined with 970 papers shorter than the thickness of the tiles works. After you do that, thinking about large sheets and sawing is very attractive.

You could have mullite molds made with a bump inside each dam. I've never seen such a thing.
Bert Weiss
bertglass

Postby Jerry Jensen » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:51 pm

I have taken a class with Roger Thomas and one of the students made tile commercially but I never saw the process. What I am loking for is to make tile like units that can be set and cast into a large counter top. The difficulty with the larger pieces cut down is the three layer design depends on a linear pattern made in the top two layers with reeded texture up and an irid surface down. I don't know if large sheets would trap air, the smaller test tiles that I have made let the air out easily enough. The quantity of sections needed makes me think that tiles fired and reassembled would be successful for a large countertop section. One consideration also is that the reeded glass is a special run color and there is not much room for mistakes, there will be nearly 80 sq ft of countertop.
Jerry Jensen

Postby Jerry Jensen » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Bert,
Thanks for the tip on using sheets, that had not occured to me, simple and elegant possibility if I can solve the air trapping potiential.
Jerry Jensen

Postby bertglass » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Learn to bubble squeeze. There are many viable strategies. One is soak for an hour at 1140 and then take 2 hours to get to top temp.

If you saw, you can either grind the edges, or refire to fire polish.
Bert Weiss
bertglass

Postby Jerry Jensen » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:07 pm

Bert,
Thanks. Do you have experience at bubble squeezing large sheets (20" x 30") of layers of opaque with ribbed and then an Irid face down. I am concerened about getting all the bubbles out without air trapping.
Jerry Jensen

Postby bertglass » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:09 am

Jerry Jensen wrote:Bert,
Thanks. Do you have experience at bubble squeezing large sheets (20" x 30") of layers of opaque with ribbed and then an Irid face down. I am concerened about getting all the bubbles out without air trapping.

I did 3 layer half sheets, colored irid on the bottom, and 2 clear tekta on top. I'd fire them undammed. Results are good. I have a sheet of aventurine done this way that makes a lovely centerpiece placemat on my glass dining room table.
Bert Weiss
bertglass

Postby andeehunt » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:09 am

Day after day this site is proving to be a great source of information to me. The day I join here, I was able to help my friend. Today this thread helped me to learn something new. Loads of thanks to all of you.
Cheers.
andeehunt

Return to Technique