bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Fused basin

Fused basin

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Fused basin

Postby Roberta Ayles » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:23 pm

I have been asked to look into making a slumped glass wash basin. I have heard that they can crack in use as they warm up when filled with hot water, then cool too quickly when the water is run out- does anyone have experience of this?
Roberta Ayles

Re: Fused basin

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:36 pm

I remember somewhere Lani telling us a story about men and shaving. (or was I dreaming that.) Hmmmm! :roll: Les
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Roberta Ayles » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:51 am

Thanks Les, I've just joined a new forum - warmglass.com and there's lots on there about glass basins- including Lani McGregor's experiences- you do have to be careful with hot water!
Roberta Ayles

Postby bertglass » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:57 pm

I've made many glass sinks using float glass, including large one piece countertops with integral slumped sink bowls. Some of these are used as primary sinks in the master bathrooms and have been installed for many years. Some are in commercial businesses. I have never gotten a phone call complaining of a crack.

Float glass has a slightly lower COE than Bullseye, which is slightly lower than System 96. Lower does help. There are plenty of people making functioning sinks with Bullseye.

You want to advise against putting an instant how water heater on that line, set too hot. Lani says the crack comes as the glass cools after the hot water heats it up. WIth common sense and a little care, glass sinks are great.
Bert Weiss
bertglass

Postby morganica » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:35 pm

I just took possession of a broken glass sink that had been used for several years in a bathroom. (for some reason, when my friends have broken glass, they think of me)

What took it out was wife pouring leftover iced tea into one side of the sink at about the same time as husband turned on the hot water tap, and they have one of those "instant-on" water heater units that comes out steaming hot. Split the bowl in two and it fell out of its mount, narrowly avoided squishing hubby's foot.
morganica

Postby bertglass » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:32 am

morganica wrote:I just took possession of a broken glass sink that had been used for several years in a bathroom. (for some reason, when my friends have broken glass, they think of me)

What took it out was wife pouring leftover iced tea into one side of the sink at about the same time as husband turned on the hot water tap, and they have one of those "instant-on" water heater units that comes out steaming hot. Split the bowl in two and it fell out of its mount, narrowly avoided squishing hubby's foot.

Double no no! Somebody once cracked a glass countertop of mine by laying down on a bag of ice on top of the glass. In 15 minutes, it popped. You have to have both enough money and enough common sense to live with functioning glass.
Bert Weiss
bertglass

Return to Technique