bullseyeglass.com • View topic - wet tile saw

wet tile saw

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

wet tile saw

Postby janenoland » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:13 pm

I am planning to buy a wet tile saw. The MK101 pro has been recommended. I wondered if anyone has experience with it and what other saws would you suggest. Also, what kinds of blades. I want to cut pieces 3" thick (color bars) and pieces 18 by 18" that are up to an inch thick.
janenoland

Re: wet tile saw

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:04 pm

Hi Jane,
I hope others write and mention what kind of saw is their favorite. I only have a middle of the road saw right now called a QEP 600010 , 2 HP Professional tile saw (with waterfeed) and well, it does cut 3 inch (or just a fraction under that if you are going 18 inchs long. It has a 10 inch blade and well, I dream of a 14 inch blade!!!! Soooo ! I guess we are what our equipment will help with.
Leslie (thanks for asking this)
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:43 pm

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tile-T ... nd-Blade_2
Here is my favorite blade for thick 3 inch colourbars. Hope this helps.
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Doug Zawodny » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:07 pm

I have a DeWalt 24000 and love it. The water capture system is the best. Get a good glass blade from HIS Glassworks and a dressing stick.
Doug Zawodny

Postby TovArtist » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:17 am

Greetings all. I’ve been making decisions about studio equipment and want a wet saw. Looking at the one used at the Corning Studio (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=711TLnGDr-Y), I emailed Felker through their website and received the response:

“The saw in the video ... is a Felker Tilemaster saw. It is also the same as a the Husqvarna TS 250 X3. The only difference is color and the Husqvarna has a galvanized steel pan rather than a plastic pan. The water system to cool the blade is part of both saws. To cut glass we now have a blade made just for that. On the Husqvarna side it is called a Superlok Glass blade, on the Felker side it is called a GB 10. This blade has a high concentration of very fine diamonds and is designed to cut glass with a minimum of chipping.”

I also spoke with an artist who took a class at Corning and used the Felker saw. One limitation she mentioned – and which the instructor addressed – was the need to use a jig to change the angle at which the saw cuts. Apparently it can only do perpendicular (90 degree) angle cuts.

Best,
Faye Bresler
TovArtist

Return to Technique