bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Testing annealing in 42 x 22 x 14 inch kiln

Testing annealing in 42 x 22 x 14 inch kiln

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Testing annealing in 42 x 22 x 14 inch kiln

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:05 am

phpJS6uljAM.jpg
phpJS6uljAM.jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

Hello!
I have a quick question as I try to get my flatter 42inch x 22 inch x 14 inch kiln top fire to anneal correctly;
-(brick floor with fiber walls , so I have tried putting down a full piece of fiberboard on the bottom of the kiln to equalize the heat distribution, or is that totally not needed. ) (also re-wired) .
-Is it necessary to test with one inch clear blocks in the corners and in middle , or can the clear 1101 blocks be only 1/2 inch for a good reading. I am going to fire on a kiln shelf with kiln sidewalls or dams tooo! one inch off floor (as my dams are hollow Dyson dams with Dyson hollow shelf as well that I will be firing larger pieces that are 15 inchs by 25inch by 3/4 inch panels) I am trying to emulate the same environment ! Thankyou for all your help.
Leslie
P.S. I have a GB-1 controller which each kiln is plugged into . I can change the GB-1 from one kiln to the other by pulling plug and re-plugging and moving the thermocouple.
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Re: Testing annealing in 42 x 22 x 14 inch kiln

Postby bertglass » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:27 am

Les

The fiber board is fine there or not there. You should get a good anneal either way. What you are looking for is to see where the heat falls off as you get close to the walls, and if the middle is hotter than the areas surrounding the middle.
Bert Weiss
bertglass

Re: Testing annealing in 42 x 22 x 14 inch kiln

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:01 am

I thought so too and it does make the cavity smaller now which is not always the best for what I want to do. I was just concerned with fiber walls and brick floor causing something different so thanks for writing your thoughts.
I was also wondering if it is important to use 1 inch blocks of clear 1101 or if you will get the same polorized reading from 1/2 inch clear blanks with dams around them.(it should be the same should it not!) I really want to try to get a good reading. I have gotten a new lid built for the taller kiln which I am waiting patiently for the electricial to finish hooking up, and it is really nice. Phil Teefy did a great job.(Iwanted a kiln with bottom elements too!) I will probably use the smaller for thinner work and use the large kiln for casting. The only thing that makes me abit nervous is when the electrician drilled the holes for the lower elements to stick through the back of the wall of the kiln in the center,(to match up with the electrical box) he has drilled them almost level with a kiln shelf that will hold the large flat glass pieces and I am hoping it will not cause a hot spot right where it should not. (I am going to baffle it and hope this will help. ) Hmmmm eh! All the variables that can happen when you are trying to upgrade. This new element which wraps around the outer lower level and middle lower floor of kiln operates on the same wiring system as the roof elements , so I hope it is all good. I also had to raise the floor by 4 inchs (Phil suggested this) to make the cavity of the kiln smaller.) I am trying to understand how things happen in the kiln space I have and well, I love to create complicated pieces that take a very long time to create and really want them to turn out now.
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Return to Technique