bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Using silver foil

Using silver foil

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Using silver foil

Postby Katie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:47 am

I've read the prior posts about using silver foil but I still have a few questions. I want to try to do a similar looking piece to the one that is shown in "Bullseye's Quick Tips: Simple Layup + reactions = a riot of effects". I've had trouble in the past using silver foil - it just shrank up or disappeared mostly. What is the best way to use the foil to get a good "silver" effect (would doing a double layer make it more stable) and how do you adhere it to the glass before firing - with hairspray or glas tac? I have only one shot at this (time contraints) and would appreciate any advice. In the example, the foil is partially covered with frit and that frit would hold the foil in place. But is it beneficial to "glue" the foil down on the glass before firing to keep it from moving around if you want to fire it on top of the glass? Thanks everyone!
Attachments
20111214_QuickTips_ReactiveTile_550x250_banner.jpg
20111214_QuickTips_ReactiveTile_550x250_banner.jpg (47.59 KiB) Viewed 11278 times
Katie

Re: Using silver foil

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi Katie

To manage silver foil, leave it inside two layers of liner papers to cut with scissors. Then you can support it on the bottom piece of paper and slide it out with with blunt tweezers. I have only seen it used without adhesive, which makes it fairly easy to reposition.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby charlie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:38 pm

make sure you have foil instead of leaf. when you use silver leaf, it almost disappears during fusing, since it's so thin.
charlie

Postby vickibundschu » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:47 pm

I used hair spray in a few test pieces and it held the silver in place perfectly. AAE Glass has small bottles with a narrow tip. You have good control of the hair spray. I think they are $3.99, really great.
vickibundschu

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:34 am

We have a video (for subscribers) that demonstrates how to use leaf and foils. (Silver foil can actually be really thin.)

https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos ... iln-glass/

Mary Kay

Screencap:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 9.31.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 9.31.21 AM.png (256.1 KiB) Viewed 10619 times
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby andreaspencerglass » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:07 am

HI,

I am experimenting with BE silver foil, uncapped, with BE glass and have some questions about firing.

Can anyone tell me what is the optimum temp for getting the the foil to fuse to the surface and also what temperature can you take the glass up to before the silver burns off.

Many Thanks
andreaspencerglass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:09 pm

php7Sf6P6PM.jpg
php7Sf6P6PM.jpg (46.96 KiB) Viewed 9943 times

phpPiTJ3RAM.jpg
phpPiTJ3RAM.jpg (53.2 KiB) Viewed 9943 times

phpJQzQTdPM.jpg
phpJQzQTdPM.jpg (61.72 KiB) Viewed 9943 times

I am totally enjoying the Fuming process and using silver as a design feature . I love to fume but also to use the BULLSEYE SILVER ( which is the strongest and easiest to use) with the new alchemy glass. So many ways to use the techniques and if you want the silver to stay in place just a tiny tiny dab of White Lepages glue ( I use it for everything but just on the outside to get ride of gases) burns off completely ! Do not use the glue in between the alchemy glass though unless gas is able to escape . The beauty with the fuming technique and the Bullseye Silver Foil, is that depending on what glass it is touching will give you different rainbow shades around where the silver was. It is so great to experiment with it. I have always just gone no faster than 100 deg. per hour up to 1220 F. held for 2 hours and then 1 1/3 hour up to 1480 F. no hold unless really thick!!! The fume does not seem to have had any affect on my kilns at all BUT I make sure if on the underside that it is in between glass so it does not stain the kiln shelf. So I hope this helps out some. ENJOY Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby sharol07 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:14 am

Hi there. I opened my package of silver foil, which I thought I had wrapped up well after my last use, and discovered it has tarnished. Will the tarnish burn off ok or am I better off just getting a new package? Thanks to anyone who can offer some wisdom/advise.

Sharol
sharol07

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:49 am

I am purely guessing that the tarnish will burn off. I have never heard complaints about tarnished silver showing bad results. As usual, it is a good idea to test a small sample to be sure.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique