bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Food Stains on Glass

Food Stains on Glass

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Re: Food Stains on Glass

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Erin,

Wow--that is interesting that refiring at a relatively low temp removed the stains! The next time we see something like that around here, we'll try your method. Thanks for letting us know your results!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Re: food safety and food stains

Postby jehaller » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:18 pm

I am making a platter for a family member and I just realized that there is a small amount of Spring Green in the design. Since it was designed on top of clear tekta and then full fused, can I turn the glass over so that the clear is on top when I slump it? Would that be considered clear capping then? Would that also help with food stains and food safety?

Thanks for a reply.

J. Haller
jehaller

Postby jehaller » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:40 am

I am making a platter for a family member and I just realized that there is a small amount of Spring Green in the pattern bar flow design. I saw that Spring Green is on the BE food safety list for cadmium. Since it was designed on top of clear tekta and then full fused, can I turn the glass over so that the clear is on top when I slump it? Would that be considered clear capping then? Would that also help with food stains and food safety? Or should I just full fuse again with a clear piece over just the center area. I have attached a photo of the piece after full fusing.

Thanks for a reply as soon as possible since I need to get this done in the next two weeks.

J. Haller
blue platter.jpg
blue platter.jpg (53.85 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
jehaller

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:24 pm

Yes, you can flip the piece over and fire it with the clear side up. Just be sure the clear side is super clean. In fact, you might want to sprinkle it with a coat of clear powder to be sure no residue from the kiln shelf caused devitrification.

Or you could sprinkle and fuse clear powder to the colorful side--if it is thick enough to cover, that would be the clear capping for using the piece with food.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Previous

Return to Technique