bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Firing temperature for translucent white

Firing temperature for translucent white

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Firing temperature for translucent white

Postby HRoss » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:03 pm

Hi

Does anyone know what the minimum firing temperature is for the translucent white glass BE 0243.30?

I want the glass to turn out fairly translucent not go to totally opal.

Thank in advance

Helena
HRoss

Re: Firing temperature for translucent white

Postby ejgiebel » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Helena,

What are you trying to do? I use it for sconces and other lighting, it diffuses the light from the bulb, but let's plenty of light through the transparent glass fused on top of it. I have a piece I'm looking at that I took to a slump (1250F) for 20 minutes and it's a consistent milky white, but not as dense as another test I have that went to a full fuse. Sort of like the color difference between skim milk (slump temp) and whole milk (full fuse).

I think if you treat it as a striker, and hold it at 1225 for 20 minutes (these numbers are from memory, but somewhere one of the Bullseye people in this forum had a post on how to get good results with strikers), it will turn a consistent color for you.

Ed
Ed Giebel
ejgiebel

Re: Firing temperature for translucent white

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:12 am

Hi Helena,

I am not sure what kind of glass arrangement you are working with, but in garden variety firings, 0243 Translucent should not completely opacify. (The process temperature I have in mind as I write this is 1480 F, held for 10 minutes.) It was actually designed for use in light shades. In fact, once upon a time, we called this style "Lighting White" but changed the name to Translucent White to make its character more understandable.

Try making a tile using a similar process time and temperature as I described, and see if that level of opacity works for you. If it is too dense, you might want to try Opaline 0403 instead.

Let us know the results of your testing!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique