bullseyeglass.com • View topic - full smooth gloss both sides

full smooth gloss both sides

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

full smooth gloss both sides

Postby dr sawfish » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:35 am

does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve as to how to achieve a full absolute smooth gloss on BOTH sides of a kiln fired piece? if i was to make a picture frame with clear glass in the middle how would i do this?
dr sawfish

Re: full smooth gloss both sides

Postby charlie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:06 am

dr sawfish wrote:does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve as to how to achieve a full absolute smooth gloss on BOTH sides of a kiln fired piece? if i was to make a picture frame with clear glass in the middle how would i do this?

there will always be some marks on both sides at a full fuse temp. there are techniques to get a smooth back if you are only slumping.
charlie

Postby bertglass » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:05 am

I know of one way. If you do a drop slump, both sides remain fire polished. Then you have to cut off the upper parts that were supported. If you really need all surfaces fire polished, blow glass. A rollup is another fusing/glass blowing approach that works for this.

There are old timey picture frames where they took clear window glass and put it on a drop mold, to create a lens effect. These were often oval. With Tekta, you would have to get the glass to stretch enough to loose it's rolled texture.
Bert Weiss
bertglass

Postby jestersbaubles » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:09 am

I have a few picture frames that I need to finish off, but I plan to glue non-glare plate glass to the frames (from the back). Another option is to create some sort of "channel" in which to slide the plate glass, picture, and backing. Lead U-came would work for this, and I've seen on-line some plastic U-channel (can't seem to find it in stores). I've wandered around the framing section of Hobby Lobby, hoping to find other solutions, but haven't come across anything.

Dana W.
www.jestersbaubles.com
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Postby Phoebe » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

You might try turning the piece over and refiring to a lower temp to fire polish it, or you might try Fuse Master's Back Magic. It's like a low fire Superspray--975 F for 5 minutes--although you will will get the glossy effect, at that temp it won't remove whatever texture was picked up from the shelf primer/paper.
Phoebe

Postby bertglass » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:09 am

Phoebe wrote:You might try turning the piece over and refiring to a lower temp to fire polish it, or you might try Fuse Master's Back Magic. It's like a low fire Superspray--975 F for 5 minutes--although you will will get the glossy effect, at that temp it won't remove whatever texture was picked up from the shelf primer/paper.
Phoebe

In a couple of decades of reading glass fusing bb's, I have yet to see a posting that said that back magic performs as you suggest.

If anybody wants to hear more about how glass benders get bent glass without mold marks, ask on Warm Glass. These techniques will not work with Tekta, you need drawn glass or float. You can get smooth, clear, BE with a drop slump, as long as you stretch it enough. Look at http://www.bullseyeglass.com/weblog/ the post is titled Congratulations Amanda.
Bert Weiss
bertglass

Return to Technique