bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Gold-bearing pink frits and striking

Gold-bearing pink frits and striking

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Gold-bearing pink frits and striking

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:06 am

I am posting this question for Lianne:

HI there,
I am just starting a new project that involves using cranberry pink and fuchsia transparent frits. I am aware that you need to fire them at 1225F for 2 hours but I am wondering are they able to be re-fired after this? (say for instance if I fire them to make fit balls and then incorporated them into my design) also if I can re-fire them do I still need to include the 2 hour soak if they have already soaked? Any help with this is much appreciated, I don't normally work with pinks. Many thanks, Lianne French

Hi Lianne,

We always advise testing in the case of color-critical projects, so I suggest that you run a small sample through both your firing cycles to know for sure.

The tendency of many striker styles is for the color to become darker or more saturated with multiple firings.

Gold-bearing pinks may be an exception, at least in the tint category of styles. We have discovered that once gold-beariing pink tints have been struck once, they can be refired and will tend to stay the same. Here is an article related to a discovery we made while researching gold-pink tint styles in the form of billets: http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-id ... tints.html

The results may be different for Cranberry Pink (001311) and Fuchsia (001332) which are formulated to be more saturated than tints.

I hope this helps! Let us know your results!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique