bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Iron filings as inclusion

Iron filings as inclusion

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Iron filings as inclusion

Postby joetotale » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:01 am

Hi All
Just wondered if anyone has any experience in using iron filings as an inclusion, either on the surface, or sandiwched between two pieces of glass? Am planning to make some wee samples, but keen to find out any tips/hints from you guys too.
Cheers
Joe
joetotale

Re: Iron filings as inclusion

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:17 am

I might suggest to put on the outside. http://www.twinvision.fusedglassartists ... 010544.jpg I use a mix of carpenters glue, and copper powder and mix like a slurry and paint on the mold inside. Then when you cast it is lovely and creates nice colours. I believe the iron powder gives some incredible colours too. Irene Frolic of Canada did an amazing series of cast pieces that were stunning done in this technique. It almost gives the impression of a metalic skin on the glass. I will also imbed copper mesh into the wax before I cast and it is wonderful.
Iron inside the glass might cause some problems though. Copper is alittle more forgiving.
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Mike Jordan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:02 am

I've wondered about this as well. Since the Photo Fusing paper depends on iron in the laser ink to create the image left on the glass, I've thought about trying iron filings sprinkled on using a stencil. I have a few hand warmers I appropriated from my wife's supply because they have a packet of iron filings in them. I guess that is part of what creates the warmth inside the hand wamers when you break and mix the packets together. I figure it must be a much cleaner source of iron filings that what I could pick up with a magnet. I've not tried it, but it's on my list of things to try.

Mike
Mike Jordan

Postby Stephen Richard » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:17 am

Also think about the difference in mass between toner and filings.
Stephen Richard

Postby Mike Jordan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:48 pm

I re-read the list of ingrediants in the hand warmers again. It's iron powder and not iron filings, so it is a lot finer than filings would be. I've not cut one open yet to take a look at it though, to see how fine it is. I think it would be neat to make magnetic designs with a magnet underneath the glass and the filings on top and then carefully pulling the magnet away once the design is made. Filings would be better for than than powder I would think.

Mike
Mike Jordan

Postby heartandsoul » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:43 am

I have used iron powder in my glass work, mainly on top of the glass to see its' performance. My experience was not too impressive, it was rough and not very attractive, at least for the look I was going for. The biggest problem with the iron powder is that it is very fine and messy, and hard to contain to one place. It seems to be full of static.
Shirley Jones
West Michigan
I'm smitten with The Mitten

"Nothing is accomplished unless somebody cares."
~Mary Jane Dockeray
heartandsoul

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:09 am

I love abstract and this is just one more amazing tool when creating . Along with copper powder tooo, it is wonderful for the creative spirit. This is why also I make a slurry so I can have abit of control. I wonder if you mixed it with CMC. I will experiment and get back.
Les (sprinkle glass powder over the metal powders tooo to create some interesting looks!) (mind you the new reactive glass also can create some amazing looks tooooo! so have fun.)
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby bertglass » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:16 pm

I have a friend who is an oil painter. He has been crushing colored rocks and mixing them with linseed oil to make textured paint. We have collaborated on glass projects since the early 80's. He suggested to me that I try and put some of these rocks on glass and fire them to see what happens. One rock is turquoise colored and is primarily copper. Another he gave me is silver ore. I am pretty much skeptical, but I have to do some testing, so what the hell. I'll see what happens with these.
Bert Weiss
bertglass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:44 am

I try to create a space for the stone and then apply after. BUT if you want to create a stone look , then I will actually work with clay, push stones into clay, then cover with wax and final stage is to cast over the wax/clay . You just have to make sure you carve the wax so that NO undercuts are happening with the real stones under wax. Then you can just put in a hotplate and take wax off the stones if you love the stones and want to keep them. Mix different powders to create the look of stones. (I wish I had a better picture of this piece cleaned as it is much nicer, but this gives you an idea. I just do not want the stones in the kiln. Something will definatley not be happy at the end of the day.
http://www.twinvision.fusedglassartists ... 010785.jpg
http://www.twinvision.fusedglassartists ... 010600.jpg
(I actually made a poly-urethane mold of the stones.) So I can add or subtract or use other components to create with.)
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby bertglass » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:15 pm

Les

My friend's vision was about the metal and metallic oxide content of the rocks effecting glass colors, not shapes. When he canvas painted, it was with crushed colored rocks, which created colored paints.
Bert Weiss
bertglass

Next

Return to Technique