bullseyeglass.com • View topic - New Quick Tip: Alchemy Metallic Palette

New Quick Tip: Alchemy Metallic Palette

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

New Quick Tip: Alchemy Metallic Palette

Postby leeingalls » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:19 am

We've just posted a new free Quick Tip: Alchemy Metallic Palette

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-id ... lette.html

Create gold & bronze hues by capping silver foil with Bullseye’s Alchemy Clear styles. Adding Tekta or standard Clear to the mix expands the palette to three handsome metallics. Download a PDF for your TechBook. Enjoy!
leeingalls

Re: New Quick Tip: Alchemy Metallic Palette

Postby ua1996pte » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Question: I attempted this using tekta as base, about 1" x 1" silver leaf cut out, and topped with Alchemy clear transparent silver to gold iridescent thin to do this project. Part of the silver turned gold and most of it stayed silver. But if you flipped the glass over it was reverse, what stayed silver on the front turned gold and vice versa. I used the following schedule.
400 to 250 hold 5
400 to 1050 hold 20
75 to 1225 hold 60
600 to 1500 hold 15
AFAP to 900 hold 60
150 to 700 hold 10

Any thoughts on what would cause only part of the silver to change to gold and the more cutouts is why the opposite areas turned gold on the back of the glass. Thanks. Suzanne
ua1996pte

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:45 am

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for posting!

Which were you using-- Tekta 001401 or Tekta 001100?

Silver can sometimes turn partially yellow when exposed to Tekta Clear, especially 001100.

If I understand your glass arrangement correctly, the most obvious explanation is that the Alchemy Clear top and the Tekta Clear base got mixed up, and the Alchemy Clear ended up on the base. Is that a possibility?

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby ua1996pte » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:39 pm

I am pretty sure it is tekta 1100 and i am pretty certain the alchemy was on top. but i guess anything is possible and that i accidentally but it on the bottom.
ua1996pte

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:25 pm

You might try looking through a cross-section of each style of glass as you are working. Even if it's hard to tell them apart looking through the 3mm depth of the flat glass, if you look at it on edge, it should be easier to identify.

I keep a Sharpie nearby to label all scraps as I go along with the cutting.

To prove whether this is what happened, you could cut a small piece of glass from your originally labeled sheets, set them up in the arrangement you were trying for originally, and fire them. Otherwise, we might never know for sure!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique