bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Bullseye's new annealing recommendations

Bullseye's new annealing recommendations

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Bullseye's new annealing recommendations

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi all,

For those of you who wanted an explanation of Bullseye's new annealing recommendations (including the option of a 900 degree F anneal soak temperature), here is a link:
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/education/ ... annealing/

This web page offers our recommendations in text plus a slide show based closely on Ted Sawyer's portion of the BECon 2009 presentation "Stress, Out!" where the new anneal soak temperature was suggested. The slide show provides information about the testing that lead to these new recommendations.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Re: Bullseye's new annealing recommendations

Postby cmini » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:39 am

Please release Ted's talk in some format other than Quicktime, so those of us who still use Windows 2000 can view it. Apple never released a 2000 fix after their security fiasco a year or so back; it's still a widely used operating system.
cmini

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:56 am

Hi cmini,

Thanks for the feedback--we are working on this and hope to have an alternative link up that you can use, by the end of the week.

Mary Kay Nitchie

PS: On a completely different topic, in your future posts would you be willing to put your name in your signature? We haven't posted any forum guidelines yet, but I think we are going to encourage people to use their own first or first-and-last names. (In fact, if any current forum members object to using names, they can feel free to contact me via private message, so we can consider that as we work on guidelines for the future.)

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi Mary Kay,
As I work my way through the technical end of the new annealing schedule , I have a question that has been on my mind ever since BeCon (one of the most imformative conferences I have ever had the pleasure of attending. My eyes where totally awakened :geek: and my brain felt like this afterwards :?)
BUT as I try to learn and re-learn about anneling and different kilns and Multi-zoned temperature controls, I have wondered if the new anneal schedule will be beneficial for some of our older kilns with no bottom fire, or side-fire or of the firing schedule might be too fast for the glass to stabalize. Without being able to have that control with multi elements, is it more difficult to anneal without that ALL around temp. control at the new temp . For so many years I annealed at 960 with good results, now I am nervous and ready to learn all over again, (and desperately need to upgrade my kilns to create 3/4 inch panels, but for now, I will stay thinner but just want to know if I should stay at 960 until I get the MORE control with all around heating.I hope I am writing this a way you will understand. Let me know if not.
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi Les,

I checked with our techs. Here is their advice:

There is no inherent reason that achieving uniform temperature throughout the glass with a soak at 900°F would be more or less difficult than doing so at 960°F. In general, it will be more difficult to make corrections to any temperature difference in the glass if there are not independently controlled elements top, sides, and bottom of the kiln, regardless of whether the soak is at 900° or 960°.

Are you asking if you should consider a longer soak time at 900° than at 960°? As Ted noted in his annealing lecture, the historical assumption has been that a longer soak, at whatever temperature, should correct temperature differences in a piece, but that our research showed that in some cases a longer soak created conditions of larger temperature differences, not smaller differences. The only reason we know that is because we measured the temperature in the glass and we viewed it through polarized light after firing.

That’s exactly what we recommend you do, if you haven’t done that already. Measure the temperatures at the glass, or consider using a witness block (also discussed and illustrated in Ted’s talk) so that you can find out if any corrections are needed. This measuring can be done at either annealing soak temperature.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:44 pm

Thankyou so much Mary Kay,
I was usually giving a soak at 1180 when casting to help the mold and glass to get to a temperature to avoid cavitations in my SKUTT casting kiln with great success there, BUT : in the flat kiln with only top fire I was worried to go to fast, as for years I did not, but I MUST re-train myself and listen to the experts who are doing numerous tests!!!!!!! (thankyou to you all at Bullseye!) (I really think I am trying to do tooooo much in these old kilns and ask the glass to do tooo much as well .(I TRULY want a new kiln :| is really where I want to go. The Pearl 56 is just what I really need :? :roll: to be able to achieve what I really want to achieve.) I purchased the system like in Tech note 7 (well the hand held one with 2 thermocouples) so I hope to have a new lid for a kiln with bottom elements also soon when it is complete; so hopefully I can really do some testing and measuring and ghost blanks and all. I feel I am back at the beginning of a glass adventure and even though I am struggling with my equipment , I am still enjoying the glass. It is NOT good tests though to keep breaking things (a new thing for me this past year!) so I must just get the new equipment. Bottom line I guess. Thanks again.
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:52 am

Well :!: I have gotten news back from Skutt; Mary Kay, that might be interesting to others using their KM 1227 for large deeper casting. They have suggested to install (instead of the new Hybrid board for longer firings) that I go with the Solid State Relays and Multi-Zoned control system they now have designed . I guess I will be moving forward with all this and hope to have some good info in about 5 months after much testing. I will use the new Tech notes 7 suggestions also to upgrade and monitor long firing schedules. I feel like a new kiln former all over again. Hmmmm! Maybe I can enter the "NewComer" E-Merge. :roll: Just kidding of course, but I certainly am having to start all over again with understanding equipment and schedules and would like to thank all Bullseye staff for helping us all to understand what is happening with the glass inside our kilns.
Sincerely , Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Nanmcgrath » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:27 am

I am making a set of dishes (24 pieces to be exact) and need to make sure I am using the best firing schedule. I have pre-fired two sheets of 3mm 8" x 11" for rectangle plate and 6 x 6 for bowl using Skuts pre-programmed firing schedule which anneals @970 for 1hr. Can I change the slumping schedule to anneal @900. Or, should I stay with the original full fuse of @970?

What slump schedule should I use?
Nanmcgrath

Postby marykaynitchie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:44 am

Hi Nan,

Have you used the preprogrammed schedule in the past with kiln loads made up of similar sizes and quantities of pieces, and have those past firings been successful?

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby Nanmcgrath » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:03 am

Yes, for seven years with no problems. My concern this time is that they will be used in a dishwasher (ugh) so I want to make sure they they have the best annealing schedule possible.
Nanmcgrath

Next

Return to Technique