bullseyeglass.com • View topic - billets

billets

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

billets

Postby marie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:31 am

Hi,This Is Marie And My question Is..... Are your billets already anealed when I get them from the factory? I want to COLD connect a 2" square piece That I cut( which by The Way sawed beautifully!)BUT I am concerned about having to anneal The piece first because billets Are new to me and don't have a firing for thick pieces yet.I am connecting to an already 9" bowl as a base.I thought This might look Nice.If I Have to anneal This 2" piece ...do You care to share your firing for such a small piece Of billet? Any help would be Wonderful! I have a Pearl 22 clamshell kiln.Also I would Love to fire these TWO pieces together as more permanent. Do You think If I drilled a hole in The bottom Of My mold ,set The Bowl in It,kept The weight Of the heavy mold off The billet Just enough that a slump fuse would work? Thankyou so much for reading such a long question. Marie
marie

Re: billets

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:27 am

Hi Marie,

The billets are annealed. My understanding of your description of your goals is that you want to create a concave surface on the 2" x 2" surface so that a slumped vessel will have good contact with it. To make that surface, some of the glass will need to move somewhere else to make that space, so I think you would need to go to a higher process temperature than the temperature you would use to slump, and dams would be necessary. Does that make sense?

If I were doing this, I would fire the base upside down. I would create a mold to fit the bottom of the bowl and put it as a convex shape in the bottom of a box mold made of dams or vermiculite. Fired to a full fuse so that the top surface stayed flat.

Or, I would make sure my slumped vessel had a flat base--then you could use the billet chunk as is, without all this extra trouble! ;)

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby marie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:38 am

Thankyou MaryKay! I knew You would understand both Of My questions.! At This point I will use Your last suggestion And work on The other at a later time.YOU Have me thinking about "What If's again And I am so Happy ! Sometimes The simple things Are The hardest to See. Marie
marie

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:25 am

Hi Marie,

Thanks for your kind post! I am wondering if you have seen our video "Gluing Glass to Glass".

https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos ... -to-glass/

It is part of our subscription series, and can get you off to a good start in attaching a foot to your bowl.

When you complete this project, we would love to see a photo!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique