bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Saw Recommendations

Saw Recommendations

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Saw Recommendations

Postby nycf » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:39 am

Hello

I found this forum while researching a new hobby in glass. It looks like this forum may be able to help me with another issue too. I hope its okay that I post this here.

I would greatly appreciate some advice on cutting glass bottles.

I was approached by a client to produce wine bottle candle jars. Although I am new to cutting glass, my first thought was to buy a tile saw with a diamond blade specifically for glass. I would then finish on a flat lap. I’m sure this is easy enough to do, but the client wants magnum bottles that are 4 inches in diameter. This is my dilemma.

I have looked at two saws capable of cutting items with this diameter, but have reservations about both. First, the husqvarna ms 360 with a mk 215GL blade. Second, the GS-100 wet band saw from Denver Glass. My concerns are vibration from the masonry saw and the ability to cut a straight line with the band saw.

Additional thoughts. Would getting a 10 inch saw and rotating as I cut be a better idea? How will this affect the cut? Will it cost me more in time to grind and polish the bottles?

Again, any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
nycf

Re: Saw Recommendations

Postby ejgiebel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:11 pm

I have a Revolution XT (which is way overkill for your application), but I use it to cut the tops off of drop ring pieces all the time. I do it free hand (hold the piece off the table) and rotate it around. takes me a minute or two on a very worn 200 grit diamond disk to correct for any issues.

If you get a good diamond glass blade (look at hisglassworks.com), you shouldn't have any problems once you get the process down. The one time I cut a wine bottle, the middle of the bottle was a LOT thinner than I expected. So cutting won't be an issue. I'd go with a table saw, plan on rotating the bottle, and set up some sort of guide on the table so you can put the bottom of the bottle against it and then rotate it against the blade.

Ed
Ed Giebel
ejgiebel

Return to Technique