bullseyeglass.com • View topic - cold glass

cold glass

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

cold glass

Postby marie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:21 pm

I am showing in a upper northeast gallery on The ocean shore. My question Is ...Are My Glasses safe from cold weather while being display on The Gallery windows on iron frames? I am worried about cracking in extreme conditions at night when They conserve on heat...It's a pretty chilly area. I Hope I am over reacting And You can confirm I am Really being silly. I Hope I am NOT wasting anyone's time.
marie

Re: cold glass

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:42 am

Hi Marie,

I don't think it's a problem. A possible exception would be if it gets VERY cold at night, and then there is bright sun in the morning that hits only a portion of the piece, leaving the other in shade. A big temperature differential within the piece could lead to cracking, but there is much less risk of this indoors, and honestly, it seldom happens outdoors either.

Here are some related threads on glass being exposed to different temperatures while on display:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4573

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=183

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4429

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby jestersbaubles » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:13 pm

I have a 1/2" cast piece that sat outside all winter last year. In Northern Utah, we always have a few weeks that get down to -10 deg F or colder at night, with daytime highs barely 0 deg F. The piece survived just fine.

It is on the North side of the house on the front porch, so, as Mary Kay suggests, it's not getting hit by direct sunlight or being exposed to rapid temp increases.

Dana W.
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Postby marie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:44 am

Mary Kay And Dana W. ,Thankyou both for easing My concerns.! I am so happy being part Of such a Great group Of gifted people willing to share their knowledge And time! Thankyou again,Marie
marie

Return to Technique