bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Maximizing Silver Fuming on Fr Vanilla

Maximizing Silver Fuming on Fr Vanilla

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Maximizing Silver Fuming on Fr Vanilla

Postby mmrubin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:21 am

I have been fuming lots of silver on French Vanilla in the past few weeks and my results vary - a lot. My schedule is the same 350 deg to 1130, hold 20, 100 to 1230, hold 20, and 400 to 1480, hold 10. I am firing with the two plug holes open thinking it would be good to vent. I have gotten wonderful results, that is, lots of blue and red color, and so-so results with little color and the foil pretty much still quite visible. I want as much color as possible. Can anyone tell me if having the plugs in/out makes a difference? Any other tips on maximizing the effect? I read some posts and it suggested a slower ramp and I can do that, but my results vary with the same schedule. Thanks for any assistance you can offer! Michele
mmrubin

Re: Maximizing Silver Fuming on Fr Vanilla

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 am

I asked our instructor Bonnie about this, and here is her reply:

Silver is a wildcard, and there are a lot of variables. I’m interested in this as well and can run a test or two next week to see if I can narrow things down.

I’ve pretty much ruled out the difference in production dates with a test I ran back in 2012 (?) using 8 different runs of French Vanilla that spanned 2010 – 2012.
Silver_pdate.jpg
Silver_pdate.jpg (214.48 KiB) Viewed 13050 times

We’ll try a few different firing schedules with holds at different temps on the way up to see how that factors in.

The cycle I used in this tile was a variation on a “basic” full fuse, 300°F/hour to 1225, hold :45, then 600°F/hour to 1490 :10. I suspect that airflow within a certain temperature range (guessing 1000 to 1250°F) matters, though I haven’t done a side by side of peep hole plugs in vs. out. Typically firing with them in, we do experience variation in the results. Firing slower, changing the rate, not just the holds is something else I’d like to see. My hope is to narrow things down to try for “maximum fuming”, but even still I don’t expect to have fully uniform results. We’ll see!

If Michele could post a photo to illustrate the variation she’s seeing in her own work, (in the same firing) that would be great!
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby mmrubin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:05 pm

Sorry to be so slow to response, been off on a tangent or two, or three.... I agree that silver is a wildcard. I get vastly different results in the same kiln with pretty much the same schedule though I have increased hold times in an effort to maximize the effect. Location in the kiln can make a difference, too. I thought it might be the glass but have used glass from multiple years and the results vary a lot. So, I think it is oxygen and temperature, but not sure whether I want more or less and at what point in the firing. And I suppose the silver foils may differ as well. My glass is always fired twice and I can get more fuming in the second firing which helps if the first one was not so good. If I ever figure it out I will post my findings. Trying to include some images but not sure I am doing it correctly.
Attachments
fume2.JPG
Best fuming, note the pinks as well as blues
fume2.JPG (32.35 KiB) Viewed 10270 times
fume1.JPG
Pretty good, silver is still retained, but pinks and blues are showing
fume1.JPG (27.16 KiB) Viewed 10270 times
fume3.JPG
Ho hum fuming
fume3.JPG (28.39 KiB) Viewed 10270 times
mmrubin

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:38 am

Those are some great images! Thanks for posting and sharing your observations about silver fuming reactions!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique