bullseyeglass.com • View topic - BE Salmon 305 - Changed formula ???

BE Salmon 305 - Changed formula ???

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

BE Salmon 305 - Changed formula ???

Postby kgold_glass » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:52 am

I've taken a sabbatical from glass work for several years and have recently gotten back into "my kilns." I've missed it terribly. I recently ordered a sheet of BE Opaq Salmon (305), and fired a large disc on top of an even larger disc of French vanilla. Sprinkled some dense white and French vanilla frit on top and fired to a full fuse. Sorry to say, I was terribly disappointed in the results. First, I was expecting from "reaction" between the FV and Salmon (didn't happen), and the Salmon color was much different than "the old" salmon BE manufactured years ago. Salmon, back in the old days, was one of my absolute favorites to work with. Sorry to say, I'll be taking it off my list for future purchases. Sometimes, new is not better unfortunately.
kgold_glass

Re: BE Salmon 305 - Changed formula ???

Postby marykaynitchie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:40 am

Hi kgold,

We are so sorry that the glass color did not meet your expectations! We would like to learn more about your experience.

Have you gotten a big reaction between French Vanilla 000137 and Salmon Pink 000305 in the past? The reaction between sulfur (in 000137) and lead (in 000305) may be less extreme than, for example, sulfur and copper. And it can be even harder to see with an opalescent next to an opalescent style. We would be interested in knowing your firing cycle, in any case.

Re the color of the 000305, when the color is graded after the fusing test, it must fall into an acceptable range for that style. If you purchased top grade Salmon Pink, and can send us the dates, I can look up the test results. Or if you can show us a photo of your results, with your firing cycle, that would be helpful, too.

Again, we are sorry that the glass color did not meet your expectations.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique