bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Flattening a bowl

Flattening a bowl

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Flattening a bowl

Postby clm » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:08 am

I have a bowl that is 15" in diameter composed of Tekta topped with a streaky glass of clear, turquoise blue & white (BE 003116) full fused together. Then a coral web built from pink opal (310) and some fine frit and a few stringer pieces contour fused together and then soft fused to the 15" blank and finally slumped into BE mold #8738, deep form, step one. Most of the bowl is quite lovely however, the pink opal part of the coral web is not in the lovely category. I want to flatten the bowl and attempt to mitigate the pink with frit and dichroic extract. The slump schedule was 200:1200:10; 9999:900:90; 50:700:01. I am considering a schedule to flatten, possible the slumping schedule or a revision. Do I need to be this conservative to flatten? I am aware the rounding result may be off when flattening and actually think in the final product that will add to the bowl. Is there a guide or general rule for flattening?
clm

Re: Flattening a bowl

Postby clm » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:18 am

IMG_2104.jpg
IMG_2104.jpg (233.63 KiB) Viewed 13415 times

I thought I uploaded a photo of the bowl however I do not see it so will try again
clm

Postby marykaynitchie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:52 pm

Bonnie has some thoughts to share with you about flattening this bowl:

You're on the right track for flattening this piece enough to move on to the next step. If possible, plan to be present near the process soak to be able to adjust accordingly. I'd be more inclined to extend the hold time than to increase the temperature. It depends on the form and the viscosity of the glass, but I generally slump-to-flatten between 1180 & 1225°F. Being prepared for and embracing possible unevenness doesn't hurt.

Because the side with the pink isn't flat, I'd plan to advance the slump as soon as the piece flattened overall, but before the blue areas completely touch the kiln shelf. I'd be concerned about creating areas that could trap air between the glass & kiln shelf in the next firing. In the re-fuse you could fire on a piece of 1/16" fiber paper (& ThinFire) to give that air a better escape route.

In your next fuse firing, the areas that made contact with the mold & the shelf from flattening are more prone to devitrification & you may want to add a thin layer of clear powder as a preventive measure if they're not covered with other glass. http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-id ... flaws.html

Also: The first step of the Deep Slump molds is pretty gentle & the glossy side probably fares pretty well. The 2nd & 3rd steps are steeper & I've seen at least one tech issue come from firing the glossy side against these molds. It is more prone to stick, drag & create an uneven slump than the original shelf side. If you've done this successfully before, that would be great to know.

Please don't let these warnings stop you from moving forward with your project! When it's all said & done, you may not see any adverse effects.

Let us know what happens!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby clm » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:16 pm

I remembered today that I had not followed up on the post. The bowl did indeed flatten nicely. I am still "embellishing" it for it's next firing adventure. I applied some dichroic extract to the offending pink coral and that has mitigated some of the color I did not care for. It is now 'resting' while I decide what else, if anything, to do to it. The schedule I used to flatten was 300:1150:08; 9999:1250:30; 9999:900:90; 100:700:01. I tried to add a photograph however the system advises me to contact an administrator. I will try again in a followup post.
clm

Postby marykaynitchie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:52 am

I would try creating a smaller image file--process it so that it is about 500 pixels across, and see if that works.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby clm » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 am

IMG_3183.jpg
IMG_3183.jpg (32.15 KiB) Viewed 10772 times
clm

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:52 am

Nice!

MK
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby mattt » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:07 pm

I love your description of the piece "resting while you decide what to do with it". Can I borrow your description? :lol:
mattt

Return to Technique