bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Striker glass

Striker glass

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Striker glass

Postby bevhaggett » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:22 pm

I recently fired striker glass (1215) to dichroic glass (candy apple red) - to get a perfect red. One piece fused perfectly, the other piece did not fuse together at all. I'm trying to determine if the striker glass has an iridized coating on it that of course will not fuse to the dichroic coating. The striker glass is clear and I have tried using the "pen nib" test you use to determine the dichroic side of glass, but it isn't conclusive. There is obviously a "right" side to this glass in order to use it with dichroic glass. Suggestions please.
bevhaggett

Re: Striker glass

Postby marykaynitchie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Do you have the full style number of the 1215? It would be something like 001215-0030 or 001215-0050. That would tell us if it was iridized.

Thanks,

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby bevhaggett » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:08 am

Sorry - I should not have said I was trying to determine if it was ironized, because it is. It is 1215-031. I just find it very hard to determine the ironized side once it is cut into smaller pieces, so I wonder if there is an easy way (like the pen nib on dichroic). Thanks.
bevhaggett

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:18 am

OK, now I can picture this--was the problem that you accidentally fired the irid surface directly against the dichroic surface, and they didn't fuse properly?

You can determine the iridescent surface a couple of ways. The iridescent side usually feels less glossy. Run your fingernail across the non-irid side, and then the irid side, and it should feel slightly different.

I shot a couple of images for you, on my black desk. Notice the relationship between the edge of the glass and the surface.

Place the glass in a beam of light with a dark background. The irid side will be very metallic.
IMG_3618.jpg
Irid side up
IMG_3618.jpg (268.72 KiB) Viewed 8839 times

I shot a couple of images for you, on my black desk. Notice the relationship between the edge of the glass and the surface. The iridescent side looks very different in this light than the non-iridescent side.

The same beam of light on the non-irid side may have tiny highlights like sunlight sparkling on the water on a lake, and the iridescent surface will be more subtle, or perhaps even invisible. The edge looks similar to the non-iridescent surface.
IMG_3622.jpg
Irid side down
IMG_3622.jpg (263.18 KiB) Viewed 8839 times

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique