bullseyeglass.com • View topic - question related to Opals and enamels

question related to Opals and enamels

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

question related to Opals and enamels

Postby alfeze » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:01 am

So a couple of weeks ago I watched that great presentation from one of your conferences... Is it better to be dead than red ... something like that anyway. Went through it a number of times since my favourite colour is red and have had lots of issues with its use in all glass mediums:-) Brilliant presentation great presenter no matter what he thinks:-)
Anyway there was also an interesting point about cutting ... that its easier on the side with the thin clear layer... having looked more closely I could see it and used it... and it did improve my ability when scoring and running that side of my white circles...
Anyway it got me thinking... should I also take note of that thin layer when I am painting with enamels... sometimes I paint on clear and sometimes on white, (different whites too...).
And then use your enamel firing and then the full fuse firing too... sometimes I have been testing with upside down etc trying to minimise the bubbles (even with bubble squeeze) ... anyway so I was wondering if paints enamels on the side with the clear vs the side without the clear, might there be changes to the flow , reactions or anything? Is it better to use one side or the other?

I know that different enamels fir at different temps ... some need a lower temp than others even when it comes to high fire enamels like Color line... but I understood from some of your information that different glasses have different stiffness's (viscosity at full fuse) and I assume that the same could then be said for the side with that thin clear layer vs the side that doesn't... what you think? (am I just being silly:-))

many thanks
Anne
alfeze

Re: question related to Opals and enamels

Postby marykaynitchie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 am

Hi Anne,

I don't have experience personally with enamels so I forwarded your question to our resident expert. He says:

Regarding which surface would be better to apply enamel, I’d say that it is a design preference and depending on which enamels you are using (high fire or low fire) you may need to cap the sintered enamels to get them to gloss over. In addition, opals tend to be more prone to devit.

I hope this helps!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique