bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Decals

Decals

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Decals

Postby k.russell.glass » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:36 am

I tried the Millestone decals you sell and had trouble with a lot of residue around the image.
I pre-fired the opaque sheet glass, then followed the instructions to apply the decal to the glass and fired it according to the recommended schedule. The decals turned out great, no bubbles, no loss of image. But I can see exactly where I cut the decal from the sheet... the exact shape of piece I cut off is in white residue surrounding the image. I for sure took the wax paper off, for sure took the paper backing off... doesn't that plastic-like middle layer burn off?
Attachments
IMG_4721.JPG
residue left after firing decals
IMG_4721.JPG (62.71 KiB) Viewed 8744 times
k.russell.glass

Re: Decals

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:27 am

Hi,

Sorry you are having trouble with the decals. Can you provide the firing schedule, the styles of glass used, and describe your kiln, the shelf, and the shelf release? Also, are these the bee decals, in gold?

Thanks!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby k.russell.glass » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:25 am

You bet.
Decals = gold bee, black leaf
Sheet glass = once fired (to 1500F) opaque indigo blue, single layer 3mm
Kiln - Paragon Sentry Xpress 4.0 vitrigraph kiln, approx 6" x 6" kiln shelf, primed with your kiln wash (dry, though not pre-fired)
Schedule = rate in F/hr / temp in F / hold in hrs
80/185/0:20
175/400/0:15
200/600/0:15
1000/1450/0:10
9999/900/0:10
100/700/0:10
9999/70
k.russell.glass

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:44 am

Hi K.,

Bonnie has suggestions:

In the Milestone Fusible Decals video, we provide a solution to mask the decal sheet border after firing which is to apply a thin layer of clear powder & re-fire to 1425°F for a glossy surface. I'm not entirely sure about what factors in it not burning out cleanly, if it's the style of glass it's fired on or certain decal runs or something else, but it's a relatively common issue that happens to varying degrees in our firings as well. Sometimes, there's little to no evidence of the decal sheet.

https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos ... le-decals/

I'm curious about firing a thin layer of powder in the same firing as the decal application firing as a preventive measure & will try that out. Following the recommended process temperatures, powder would fire glossy at 1450°F (metallics) & still have a bit of texture at 1375°F.

So, we recommend that you try clear powder to reduce those marks.

Let us know if this works for you!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique