bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Heavily textured glass

Heavily textured glass

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Heavily textured glass

Postby makeitsharpe9 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Hello.

I bought a sheet of red glass a year or so ago it was stunning but as I had just started in glass I thought I would wait until I was knowledgeable enough to use it. Its so nice I just want to cut a disc from it and add another sheet of testa but I would like to retain the texture of the red glass please can some one help me with a schedule then I will slump in a mould 380mm dia x 40mm deep.

Charles
makeitsharpe9

Re: Heavily textured glass

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:07 am

Hi Charles,

Is this Bullseye Glass? What style?

Thanks,

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby makeitsharpe9 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:11 am

Hello.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to not been very well over Christmas. The code is 019 3126 and yes it's is Bullseye glass. I have two sheet of this glass I have one disc waiting to see how this thread comes out. The other disc I cut a disc 380 dia and a disc of 3 mm tekta I have fused it ie thin fire the tekta rough down then 019 3126 rough up I have just got it out of the kiln and the 019 3126 is covered in small lumps is there away to get rid of them. PS Happy New Year to all of you at Bullseye.
makeitsharpe9

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Happy New Year to you, too!

That number does not correlate with our style numbers for solid red glass. Do you have a multicolored streaky sheet?

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby makeitsharpe9 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:34 pm

I will have a look to see if I can find the bill for it I know it came from Warm Glass here in UK.

Charles.
makeitsharpe9

Postby makeitsharpe9 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:32 am

Hello.
I have just found a reference to to glass I am talking about.

It's Cranberry Royal Blue, Sring green code no 003126-0021 page 17 catalog no 10
makeitsharpe9

Postby marykaynitchie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:06 pm

You can find suggested cycles for our slumping molds here: http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-id ... dules.html

That style includes Cranberry Gold Pink which needs sufficient time in the cycle to strike. You can learn more about that with this video from our series: http://www.bullseyeglass.com/education/ ... s-162.html

Or from About Our Glass: http://www.bullseyeglass.com/cranberry- ... arent.html

It's best if you study these materials and propose a schedule. We may have additional questions. Then, any of our members can give you feedback, if you are not confident that you will get the desired results.

Thanks!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby makeitsharpe9 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:21 pm

I think I must be missing some thing here nothing here is helping me determine how I fuse a sheet of 3 mm tekta and a sheet of highly textured glass but retain the texture as like herringbone black.
makeitsharpe9

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:13 pm

Oh, sorry--you won't be able to fully fuse the textured sheet to the Tekta sheet and retain the texture. However, if you wanted to consider a different texture, you could fire it face down on fiber paper or in a sand bed. Also, I apologize for not recognizing that your 3126 had the 0021 suffix, which indicated that it is a soft ripple. Those soft ripple styles are best used for stained glass or mosaic purposes.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby mattt » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks Mary Kay. I'd always wondered what the point was of the texture in a fusing glass!!
mattt

Return to Technique