bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Lamp Bender Mold 8725

Lamp Bender Mold 8725

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Lamp Bender Mold 8725

Postby clm » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:00 pm

I recently purchased this mold and have not used this or one like it before. The stated dimensions on the box are 10.1" x 8.5" x 3.7". Measuring the footprint yields 9 ⅞" x 8 ⅜" - I did not measure the depth. Inside the box is a paper with a rectangle drawn on it and the dimensions are 12" x 9" and in the bottom right hand corner are the numbers 958.125. I believe this paper and numbers were provided by the manufacturer Creative Ceramics in Europe as the numbers are written in the European manner.
My intent is not to create a lamp rather a curved art piece. t will be 9 mm using a variety of glass, all Bullseye, some preformed in pattern bar pieces, small, flat casting pieces and tied together with some strip work. So, my first question is what dimensions do I work with for the glass I wish to drape over the mold? or, second question - should I slump into a bowl mold to achieve the curved look I seek?
clm

Re: Lamp Bender Mold 8725

Postby clm » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:02 pm

As a followup...I cut the rectangle from the paper supplied by the manufacturer. It is not 12 x 9 as indicated on the paper; rather it is 11 ¼" x 8 ⅞". I draped the paper over the lamp bender mold and it leaves an approximately ½" margin on all sides. Is this what I would like when draping? Thanks for any help!
clm

Postby marykaynitchie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 am

Just to be sure I understand correctly, your paper pattern is about one inch shorter in length and width than the surface of the Lamp Bender. Correct? If so, then you can use that pattern with that mold.

These molds can vary in size from year to year because they are hand made, out of clay that can have varying rates of shrinkage upon firing the original mold. That's why we recommend that you measure your project to fit the mold, rather than relying on the printed dimensions. The printed dimensions are meant to help you predict which mold projects will fit in your kiln, and these are often larger than the glass tile that you would slump in that mold.

Let us know how you get on with your lamp!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby clm » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:41 am

The paper pattern supplied with the mold has incorrect sizing information for the drawn rectangle on the paper. Measuring the dimensions of the mold itself yields a slight difference from the stated measurements on the box. I do, as you suggest, always measure. My uncertainty is with the actual shaping process as it seems it will drape rather than slump. I plan to consult the Bullseye slumping guide for the specific mold however the piece to be slumped will be 9mm in thickness rather than the standard 6mm. I have not used this lamp bender, or for that matter, any lamp bender to know how much stretching will occur as it bends over the mold hence my questions about sizing the rectangle. Does that make sense?
clm

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:52 am

Yes. How much it stretches may depend upon how long the piece is at process temperature, and how high your process temperature is. Have you watched this video? http://www.bullseyeglass.com/education/ ... g-242.html

The demonstration is of the piece slumped over a lamp bender. There is footage of the piece as it actually slumps in the kiln. There appears to be no draping or spreading.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby clm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:44 pm

Thank you! I will watch the video....
clm

Return to Technique