bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Steel Jade

Steel Jade

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Steel Jade

Postby kkrajr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:22 am

I'm having trouble getting my steel jade to turn steel. I did a test fire with small pieces and it worked fine at 1400. Since I needed the tray to be full fused, I did that first and then ran it again to 1400 - no steel. I ran it again to 1325 very mild and uneven steel. Is the range for steel jade different from steel blue?
kkrajr

Re: Steel Jade

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:47 am

The metallic effect of Steel Blue and Steel Jade results when fired at temperatures lower than you would used for a full fuse. It is a fairly new style, and we don't know everything about it yet. What we do know is found here: http://www.bullseyeglass.com/steel-jade ... t.html?p=7

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby kkrajr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:39 pm

Here is what I know so far:

I did a full fuse on 6 trays - each was 1 piece Tekta on the bottom and steel jade on the top. The green stayed green. I did a 2nd fuse to 1300 - perfect steel! except that after the full fuse, in wiping off some brick dust with alcohol on a paper towel, I had horrible streaks on the glass in the exact pattern of the wiping.

This glass gets very bad smudges from finger prints and alcohol leaves streaks without removing the fingerprints. I used warm water to rinse it and could mostly control the fingerprints.

I couldn't use the glass with these terrible streaks so I sandblasted the steel surface and refired to 1300 - no steel but sand imbedded from sandblasting. I drilled out those spots instead of sandblasting. The 3 that were drilled were refired to 1500 - obviously still green but then refired to 1300 - only the spots where it was drilled and re-fused turned silver. The 3 not drilled were put into 2 different kilns and refired to 1300 in one and 1350 in the other. Per suggestions from AAE glass, the hold time was 2 hours. Still green. I put 3 each in 2 kilns, fired both to 1350 holding 1 for 4 hours and 1 for 3.5 hours. Finally got steel on one of them (the one where the glass was taken back up to 1500) but the other had only a mild strike. Those 3 are back in for their 7th fusing (I know Bullseye only guarantees 3) to get a consistent steel.

Observations - it will strike relatively consistently on the first time only, it doesn't clean well or evenly-smudges are inevitable unless gloves are worn, this glass needs perfecting - even without the striking issues, someone could have serious trouble with the surface smudging and lastly, the hold times needs to be addressed - I worry about hold those temperatures for such extended lengths of time.

I'm up against a hard deadline for these 6 trays and had to purchase/ship 2 new molds just to meet my deadline. Having to fire 5 additional times means I won't make any money on this project. And it's entirely like they will all be rejected and I won't blame the customer.
kkrajr

Postby marykaynitchie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:33 am

Thank you for posting the results of the challenges and difficulties that you are having with this style. It will be helpful to other members. I will also forward it to our Research and Development staff. I am sorry that the glass is not the right fit for your commission. As I said above, it's fairly new, and we don't know everything about it yet.

Re the number of times you can fire the glass, I wouldn't worry too much about that with most glass styles, with the exception of cadmium-seleniums (red, yellow, and orange), and pinks made with gold. Most Bullseye glass can be fired a lot, and stay stable.

Thanks,

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby kkrajr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:54 pm

So - one final update. As expected, the customer rejected 3 of the trays. Since I had nothing to lose, I tried an experiment - as previously mentioned, this glass has a terrible fingerprint issue. I had noticed that the oil from my hand would strike darker than the rest of the glass (I had wiped off something with my finger after cleaning the glass first with alcohol.) I thought there might be a connection between the striking and the oil from my finger. So I wiped all 3 trays with vegetable oil, wiped it off, cleaned it again with alcohol and fused to striking temperatures. Success! I got an even strike on the whole piece. Strangest glass I've ever used.
kkrajr

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:37 am

Wow, you may have developed an entirely new technique! I will forward your report to our Research and Education department. They may want to continue testing in this direction. Thanks so much for sharing your results! If we learn anything new, I'll post it for you.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique