bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Boiled Glass

Boiled Glass

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Boiled Glass

Postby Keith » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:31 pm

Hello, I have had some fun doing the boiled glass technique. Here are some pics of some stuff I have made. I followed the procedure pretty much as it was laid out in the video and it worked well. I now want to make a circular piece using a SS ring mold. For the square pieces I used both SS molds and ceramic dams. In the video procedure (for squares) the edges are made up using the iridized glass with the coated surface outside to help the glass not stick to everything at the high processing temps. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make a circular form? If I just use the 1/8 fiber will that be enough? If not what else can be used?

Thanks

Keith

Looks like the photos are not uploading
Keith

Re: Boiled Glass

Postby jstahl956 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:39 pm

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you are asking how to make a circular form? While I have not tried the boiling glass yet, I have thought about it and have made a circular form like you're referring to. With the high heat (1700F) I wanted to stay away from SS as it has a tendency to spall.

I have made fiberboard molds already to do this. You can make whatever sized circle you require with FB. Depending on the type of fiberboard you're using, you are going to want to kiln wash the molds as some FB have a tendency to create a lot of dust. You may also want to think about using a ridgidizer before applying the kiln wash.

Fire the form by itself before doing your project.

You can then line the interior of your circle with 1/8" fiber paper, cut your glass and go from there.
jstahl956

Postby Keith » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks. I have some circular stainless steel molds. My question really is " Do you have to have the iridized surface in contact with the fiber paper an/or kiln was as a release agent. In the tutorial all pieces touching anything have the iridized surface be the contact. So for the squares a square of iridized glass is put iridized side down on the shelf and strips of iridized glass are made for the perimeter with the iridized side touching the fiber paper. That works well. For a circular one I can cut an iridized circle and put is iridized side down to make it not stick but what about the circumference? Will just fiber paper (1/8 in) work? If not what else can be used? Boron Nitride?

Keith
Keith

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:56 am

Hi Keith,

It is likely that if you use a smaller file size for your images, they will upload fine. Have you watched our instructional video on boiled glass? https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos/boiled-glass/

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby Keith » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:49 am

Yes. I have watched to video. That is where my question arises. In the video they instruct you to use the iridized side of the glass as a "protection" layer when the glass is at 1700F. The strips for the perimeter of the square worked well. How can I do that in a circle? If I cannot use the iridized surface is there something else I can use? If I just use the 1/8 fiber paper will that work?
Attachments
Boil2.jpg
Boil2.jpg (17.13 KiB) Viewed 6871 times
Boil 1.jpg
Boil 1.jpg (25.09 KiB) Viewed 6871 times
Keith

Postby jestersbaubles » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:27 pm

You don't need the iridized glass. If you have it for the bottom layer (the circle), I would use it.

For the edges of the glass, just use fiber paper in the stainless ring like you typically do. It may require more coldworking to get a smooth edge, but it will be fine.

Dana W.
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Postby Keith » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:41 am

Thanks. That was what I was going to plan. Do you ever spray your fiber paper with the Boron Nitride ? Would that help any?

Keith
Keith

Postby jestersbaubles » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:39 pm

BN could help, but it does start breaking down at high temps. It shouldn't hurt anything though and will very likely improve the edges.

In any other application, I would recommend using a strip of Papyrus or Thinfire as a layer touching the glass edge (Papyrus is actually better in this instance because it holds up better), but in this high temp application, the Papyrus might get embedded in the glass.

Dana W.
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:44 am

Thanks.

Keith
Keith

Postby Keith » Tue May 01, 2018 5:43 pm

IMG_1024.jpg
IMG_1024.jpg (13.09 KiB) Viewed 5631 times

I finally got around to making a round " boiled glass" I did use iridized glass for the bottom but just used fiber paper for the perimeter. No BN. Same firing schedule as before. It worked fine. There might have been a little bit more fiber stuck along the sides that needed cold working but not much. Now I can try a larger one.
Thanks

Keith
Keith

Next

Return to Technique