bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Fixing fiber paper texture

Fixing fiber paper texture

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Fixing fiber paper texture

Postby ryssmiles » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:02 am

Hello, I'm a newbie to fusing and have only had my kiln for a month. I've been reading a ton and watching lots of videos, but I still have tons to learn and I'm hoping you can help me.

I cut an 11 inch circle that I intend to slump as a bowl and fired it at a full fuse. Then I decided that it was too bland and needed some stringers so I put it back in for another full fuse with decoration. But being distracted I grabbed fiber paper (which I had purchased but never used) instead of my usual thinfire. When I opened the kiln the I discovered that the fiber paper had stuck to the glass and left a deeply pitted texture. So I cleaned it really carefully, flipped it so the textured side was up, treated it with Devit spray and refired for a third full fuse expecting it to smooth back out, but to my surprise the glass is still deeply textured. The textured side was originally going to be the inside of the bowl, but now I'm thinking it should probably become the outside instead. I'm guessing I'm pushing the limits on firing the piece so I'm planning on cold working by hand to remove the texture, but I have two questions.

1) For best results do I cold work before slumping or after?
2) Can you explain to me why the top was still textured after a full fuse?

Thank you!
ryssmiles

Re: Fixing fiber paper texture

Postby edwardcantarella » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:48 am

(1) Depends how extensive the coldwork is. If you can do it with 200 grit or finer(higher #), it might totally disappear during your slump,depending on your temp. Since it is a bowl, you can usually go a little higher like 1300-1320f before there is great danger of it all sliding toward the middle. Although, if only one sheet plus some embellishments you better watch it closely, it could go sliding "downhill" quickly. :cry: I am assuming you are slumping this INSIDE of a ceramic mold.
I'd say do it before, since it is easier to cold work a flat item and you could look at it as doing a big part of the coldwork before it is finished via the slump.
(2) Well, if only one layer of glass it would have no reason to move much, other than drawing inward, due to the 1/4" rule(glass tries to reach a 1/4 thickness naturally, if thicker it spreads, if thinner it draws in). Take a fairly hard fuse to make major roughness disappear.

*Fiber cloth is great stuff - think of it like felt. You CAN pat it down or even roll with a little roller to smooth it before your firing.
edwardcantarella

Re: Fixing fiber paper texture

Postby ryssmiles » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:33 am

Thank you so much for your reply!

I didn't write my original post very well. It was two pieces of 11 inch glass fused together to which I then added embellishments.

It is very rough, I think I'll need to start with a 60 grit and work my way down. It makes a lot of sense that it will be easier to do while flat.

Yes, I am slumping inside a ceramic mold.

Thanks for the tips on the fiber paper. I will try it again sometime with more intentionality and some smoothing!
ryssmiles

Return to Technique