bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Do brown outs affect kiln?

Do brown outs affect kiln?

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Do brown outs affect kiln?

Postby yeruchem » Thu May 03, 2018 6:19 pm

I am new to glass fusion and recently acquired a kiln. Now that we are moving into summer, I had a thought I would like to put out there: I live in an area where, during the summer, the utility company sometimes cuts back on the electricity when it gets very hot and electric usage is at a high (this is called a brown-out and usually occurs during the day). Having recently set up a kiln, I am wondering: will such cuts affect the performance of the kiln?
Thanks for any thoughts you can share with me on this,
Fraida
yeruchem

Re: Do brown outs affect kiln?

Postby edwardcantarella » Sun May 13, 2018 11:57 am

The brown-outs won't harm your kiln. If the voltage is too low, most of the 3 button controllers (made by Orton in most cases) will indicate voltage is low and won't start. Not sure if they stop. If the voltage is just a little low it will just take a little longer to heat up if in a full speed ramp. It won't effect the controller logic or how the thermocouple senses or anything like that. Probably no difference in time if on a slower ramp, since it is cycling on/off anyway.
edwardcantarella

Re: Do brown outs affect kiln?

Postby yeruchem » Sun May 13, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks.
yeruchem

Return to Technique