bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Newbie Frit Ball Question/Guidance needed

Newbie Frit Ball Question/Guidance needed

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Newbie Frit Ball Question/Guidance needed

Postby yeruchem » Sun May 13, 2018 4:25 pm

I am a newbie, wanting to make medium amber trans frit balls from coarse frit. So as I started to prepare to do the project, it appears that the small 5 oz. jar of coarse frit I have (compared to larger jars of coarse) looks to be medium frit to me. That said, I would like to ask: would using medium size frit call for a lower temp than is suggested on the website (1400 AFAP) or an adjustment of the firing schedule in any way?
Also, the video says that after completing that one segment, no annealing is necessary and the door can be opened immediately without any consequence. I imagine that the heat that will escape into the room at that point might be pretty overwhelming! So, rather than open it then, is it okay to turn off the kiln and let it cool down before opening or will that affect the frit balls in some way?
Thanks,
Fraida
yeruchem

Re: Newbie Frit Ball Question/Guidance needed

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon May 14, 2018 8:16 am

You can use the same firing schedule for the frit balls. After firing, feel free to close the door most of the way to help the kiln cool more slowly. If you are using a transparent style of glass, there should not be a sticking problem. If you are using an opalescent style, there might be primer sticking to it no matter what you do!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique