bullseyeglass.com • View topic - firing schedule for large scale work

firing schedule for large scale work

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

firing schedule for large scale work

Postby varda.avnisan » Fri May 18, 2018 6:39 am

Hi,
I hope someone can help me with this: I have to fire a large panel of 16x70" long. The panel is made of 3 sections that have been fired already. Thickness is 9 mm. My questions:

1. Do I have to create and fire a clear base for that size before I lay the fired sections and full fuse?

What schedule should I use for this size which would be 12 mm and probably using dames.

I know the annealing chart for thick slabs. But I'm not sure how to take into account the length of the piece.

Would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions.

Thanks,
Varda
varda.avnisan

Re: firing schedule for large scale work

Postby jestersbaubles » Sun May 20, 2018 5:04 am

I won't provide a firing schedule or tell you what to do, but here are a few things to consider:

If you don't prefire the base, you have the potential for bubbles to form under the seams of the bottom piece, especially if the seams on the already-fired pieces and the bottom don't match up.

Also, if you don't prefire the base, you may see a seam on the back of the piece. This could be a real bummer if the pre-fired pieces are made of transparent glass, not a big deal if the glass is opal.

The potential of either of the above occurring depends upon the temperature you'll take the full fuse, and how long you plan to hold. They could potentially be resolved with a hotter and/or longer soak.

Your biggest challenge will be the temperature gradient across the 70 inches of glass. Your firing schedule should be VERY conservative.

Best,
Dana W.
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Return to Technique