bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Working with clear with clear stringers irid

Working with clear with clear stringers irid

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Working with clear with clear stringers irid

Postby yeruchem » Tue May 22, 2018 1:25 pm

I would like to make a piece using clear with clear stringers irid (4102-0031) and was wondering if anyone has experience with it. I am wondering if I use it as the top layer, will the stringers flatten or maintain any of their height during fusing? Is there a specific firing schedule? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Fraida
yeruchem

Re: Working with clear with clear stringers irid

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu May 24, 2018 9:51 am

Hi Fraida,

I think the best way to learn about this is for you to make some small test tiles, and see what process temperature gives you the results you are seeking. These test tiles can be as small as about 2 inches in diameter. The results you get for the surface are going to be different in your kiln than someone else's.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby yeruchem » Thu May 24, 2018 8:24 pm

Dear Mary Kay,
That sounds like a wonderful suggestion and I will definitely do it. Thanks.
Fraida
yeruchem

Postby frenchinspiredjewelry » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:09 pm

I started a project with 4102-0031 just today. It is such a beautiful glass, but I had quite a time getting a circle cut cleanly because of all the fracs (I cut on the smooth side, but the fracs wanted to crack wherever I used my ringstar running pliers). If anyone out there has ever used this glass, do you have any tips at all? I wish there were a video or tip sheet for this glass since it seems like a rather unique one. Hate wasting it with a lot of test samples and no starting directions. We would so appreciate any helpful tips you have to offer. Thank you.
frenchinspiredjewelry

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:46 pm

What sizes of circles are you trying to cut? Larger ones may be easier than smaller ones.

If you are cutting out a circle of a certain diameter, what is the diameter of your uncut glass piece?

Also, have you reviewed our circle-cutting instructions?

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby yeruchem » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:12 pm

Samples.jpg
Samples.jpg (125.36 KiB) Viewed 6714 times

Wanted to show you my samples, Mary Kay, and to share with anyone who is interested.

Starting from top left going clockwise (using the clear with clear stringers 4402) :
1) 4402 bottom, irid side up; dark grey trans 1129 top (Grey pulled in a bit, Irid does not shine through grey, but if flip to irid side, very strong rainbow effect and chopsticks obvious)
2) 1138 dark amber trans bottom; 4402 top irid side up (chopsticks remained slightly elevated, irid is noticeable well at certain angles and not so at others)
3) 146 steel blue bottom; 4402 top, irid side down (matte silver on the lower portion of edges where 146 sat, rainbow effect subtle but noticeable, chopsticks obvious)
4) 421 petal pink bottom; 4402 top, irid side down (rainbow effect subtle but noticeable, chopsticks obvious)

Thanks for the suggestion to make the samples; I think they turned out really nice and they give me a real sense of how to work with the 4402.

Fraida
yeruchem

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:32 am

Nice work! Thanks for posting your tests!
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique